Discuss EM Lock Partially Energize in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The resistances look fine.

Check that the 12V to EM lock 2 does reduce to zero when the push or RFID reader is activated.

Have you tried swapping over the strike (armature plates) to see if EM lock 1 becomes weak and EMlock 2 strong?

Are the two locks the same make and model?

Are the two plates the same make and model?

Are the plates the same make as the locks?

Are the plates the ones that came with the locks?

Did you try connecting the power supply directly to the plug with red wires going in to it - unplugged first from the circuit board?

Sorry to ask - is EM lock 2 fitted exactly the same way as lock 1?

Please send some pictures of the two locks and plates as fitted to the doors.

The resistances look fine.

Check that the 12V to EM lock 2 does reduce to zero when the push or RFID reader is activated.

Have you tried swapping over the strike (armature plates) to see if EM lock 1 becomes weak and EMlock 2 strong?

Are the two locks the same make and model?

Are the two plates the same make and model?

Are the plates the same make as the locks?

Are the plates the ones that came with the locks?

Did you try connecting the power supply directly to the plug with red wires going in to it - unplugged first from the circuit board?

Sorry to ask - is EM lock 2 fitted exactly the same way as lock 1?

Please send some pictures of the two locks and plates as fitted to the doors.
Both em lock brand name is (E Lock). I check the armature plate,the magnet brackets are well installed. I try connect the power supply directly to em lock terminal without PCB but still the same result :sweat::sweat::sweat:. I try every possbile to make the emlock work but didnt get the best result as i expected

Deswin: The conclusion I think we need to reach is that EM lock 2 is defective and you need to buy a replacement for it.

I reach this conclusion because:

1. It is a 12 V dc coil and you have provided this.
2. It is connected the correct way to + and -.
3. It has a similar resistance to EM Lock 1 = 25 Ohms.
4. The correct current is passing through the coil 12/25 = 0.5Amps
5. The strike plate is aligned.

I suspect that there is a manufacturing defect which has introduced an air gap (increased reluctance) in the magnetic circuit inside the lock, which has reduced greatly the flux produced by the magnetising force, - resulting in much reduced magnetisation and thence attraction of the armature/strike plate.

Last edited:
Agree with Marconi - if you have connected the emlock directly to the PSU and it still has weak pull, then it must be faulty.

Deswin: The conclusion I think we need to reach is that EM lock 2 is defective and you need to buy a replacement for it.

I reach this conclusion because:

1. It is a 12 V dc coil and you have provided this.
2. It is connected the correct way to + and -.
3. It has a similar resistance to EM Lock 1 = 25 Ohms.
4. The correct current is passing through the coil 12/25 = 0.5Amps
5. The strike plate is aligned.

I suspect that there is a manufacturing defect which has introduced an air gap (increased reluctance) in the magnetic circuit inside the lock, which has reduced greatly the flux produced by the magnetising force, - resulting in much reduced magnetisation and thence attraction of the armature/strike plate.
Maybe that's the case, the air gaps even a few mili meter can effect the magnet or perhaps the control power supply for RFID is not support for two door magnet. The magnet i bought has 6 month warranty if there's malfunction in magnet. I try to call a RFID technician and told him about this problem and waiting for his answer. What is reluctance by the way??

Maybe that's the case, the air gaps even a few mili meter can effect the magnet or perhaps the control power supply for RFID is not support for two door magnet. The magnet i bought has 6 month warranty if there's malfunction in magnet. I try to call a RFID technician and told him about this problem and waiting for his answer. What is reluctance by the way??

The issue of the power supply not being able to supply two emlocks has been tested though, when you powered the suspect lock up directly from a power supply.

Reluctance is resistance but relating to magnetic fields rather than electric current.

The issue of the power supply not being able to supply two emlocks has been tested though, when you powered the suspect lock up directly from a power supply.

Reluctance is resistance but relating to magnetic fields rather than electric current.
Okay. When I powered the emlock directly to power supply, it's behave the same way. The emlock has magnetic field can hold strike plate without install at door, but can't close the door when the strike plate attach to the door. This seems a mystery to me :(

Yes, but does the other lock behave in the same way when connected to the same power supy and installed at the same door. You need to do testing where only one thing changes each time.

Yes, but does the other lock behave in the same way when connected to the same power supy and installed at the same door. You need to do testing where only one thing changes each time.
The first emlock i connect directly to the same power supply, works perfectly fine. When i connect the second power supply directly to the same power supply it not work prefectly fine like the first em lock. I didn't connect the both emlock to the power supply, i did separately.

So there's no mystery - the 2nd lock behaves differently to the first one when installed in the same way and powered in the same way. Unless I'm missing something.

So there's no mystery - the 2nd lock behaves differently to the first one when installed in the same way and powered in the same way. Unless I'm missing something.
Hahaha I know there's no mystery,but something mystery going on to the emlock. Maybe a air gap messing with emlock. When i take out the strike plate from the glass door and directly place to the magnet and get stick to the magnet while power on. When i install the strike plate to thr glass door and close the door to magnet but not stick so closely like the first emlock. even the second emlock is brand new which i bought

Now it's time to end this subject. Today I solve this EM lock problem and it's over. All the root cause for this mess if the glass door. I should blame the contractor who install the glass door not correctly and not in good position.Although the strike plate hit the EM lock perfectly but didn't touch enough surface to the emlock cause no attraction between em lock and the strike plate. After I call the contractor and fix the glass door and it did the rewiring for both em lock and it's work fine. But i still used two power supply for each emlock because can use another power supply for both em lock if another power supply spoil or damaged in future. Finally this mystery is solved and CASE CLOSED :p:p:D. I also want to thank all electrician expert and engineer try to guide me and teach me how to troubleshoot this problem and I learn a lot of lesson from you guys. I appreciate your help and thank you once more to 'Sir Marconi' and 'Sir DPG' for help me to become a good electrician. If One Day i come to United Kingdom Hope we can meet and have some Coffee there. TREATS ARE MINE.EM Lock Partially Energize 79930053_2164553003645177_6726598309491769344_n - EletriciansForums.net EM Lock Partially Energize 79998824_504415706830898_5430580795368538112_n - EletriciansForums.net

THIS IS ME. MY NAME IS DESWIN RAJ, 21 YEARS OLD FROM MALAYSIA. GIRLS CALLED ME HANDSOME ELECTRICMAN

EM Lock Partially Energize 69775558_382553445750767_7737451006140612608_n - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to EM Lock Partially Energize in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock