Discuss Emergency lighting HMO compliance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DaveS

-
Reaction score
Hi all

Got a question regarding HMO compliance. Visited property today for landlord looking to apply for an HMO license for one of their properties. She hasn't received any detailed stipulations from council on requirements for emergency escape lighting although this will be required as property split over 3 floors. She has had a previous electrician quote for installation of key switch with emergency lighting. I have checked articles online and cannot see anywhere that this is a requirement. In my mind any 3 hour non maintained lights that we supply from an existing lighting feeds should be fine? Surely to test these just a matter of killing power to circuit/circuits. This would dramatically cut down on any additional new wiring required. Any point in correct direction be appreciated

Cheers

@westward10 out of interest do you have an opinion on whether the products which self testing facilities sufficiently negate the need for a key switch?
I've been fitting a fair few of these recently as customers like them, and failed units get noticed more regularly.

Excerpt from instructions:

Step 1: Product is installed and is connected to mains power
Step 2: Under its own control the fitting charges its batteries for 24 hours
Step 3: The fitting carries out its own discharge test for 3 hours and then re-charges
Step 4: Anytime from 15-30 days later (the interval is randomly determined) the fitting undertake it own 30 second functional test
Step 5: 30 days later the 30 second functional test is repeated and repeated again after another 30 days till it has been done 11 times.
Step 6: On the 12th time the fitting conducts another full discharge test

I've never fitted one where there wasn't already key switch but I'm not immediately seeing why it couldn't be done. Provision to isolate it for maintenance should be considered of course.

In my opinion, units with automatic test facilities comply with the requirements without the additional manual key switch.

they test themselves without interference of other lighting services.

Thank you guys. I Will opt for the self test units myself as this will dramatically cut down on need for unsightly trunking through out property

Thank you guys. I Will opt for the self test units myself as this will dramatically cut down on need for unsightly trunking through out property
There's one gotcha with them : if you get one that's been on the shelf a while, you install it, and then 24 later it does it's first full 3 hour discharge test and fails, the red light comes on, and you get called back! Very frustrating!
For this reason, I try and power them for at least 24 hours before installing them.

Reply to Emergency lighting HMO compliance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock