Discuss Erroneous test during pre testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
While doing the Erroneous test during my pre test I came across abit of a headache.
When I was doing a lighting circuit it was coming in a short eg. 0.04ohms but once I disconnected an LED light in a bathroom it went away, same with socket circuits which had USB sockets connected on them, is this normal or am I getting something wrong ?? Everything else is fine rp+re and IR test between you phase&neutral to earth.
I had all mcbs up in the on position except the circuit i was testing and went from the phase busbar to the top of the mcb I had switched off.
Thanks

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For those wondering, as I myself was a minute ago, I think this is an extra test required in Irish regs to detect inter-connections between circuits.
I believe it's a (dead!) test between the busbar with all but one MCB on, and the outgoing side of MCB.

Not having ever done this myself, I'm still working out how this works as there will be resistances through any connected loads back to the N bar, back through other loads to the other MCB and the bus bar. So I'm wondering if you are supposed to have N's disconnected for this test?
Please can a RECI put us out of misery!

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ah - to answer my own question:
4/15 - Test 6 - Erroneous connections
The following test shall be carried out in order to detect erroneous connections between circuits: For each circuit, its protective device shall be switched off and an insulation test in accordance with Table 61A applied between phase conductors of that particular circuit and all other phase conductors.
Note 1: This is an additional test to those specified in CENELEC HD 384.6.61:1992 Note 2: All loads in the circuit under test must be disconnected e.g. appliances switched off, lamps removed.

OP
M
Reaction score
There's your answer - no loads at all, including USB sockets.
Thanks very much Tim,
For those wondering, as I myself was a minute ago, I think this is an extra test required in Irish regs to detect inter-connections between circuits.
I believe it's a (dead!) test between the busbar with all but one MCB on, and the outgoing side of MCB.

Not having ever done this myself, I'm still working out how this works as there will be resistances through any connected loads back to the N bar, back through other loads to the other MCB and the bus bar. So I'm wondering if you are supposed to have N's disconnected for this test?
Please can a RECI put us out of misery!
Thanks very much Tim for the info great to find out abit more from someone with more experience ?

Reply to Erroneous test during pre testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

E
Hi all, I'm sure this question has been asked before but just can't find it. When doing the IR test on a 3phase commercial board, how do you go about testing the circuit if there are items that just can't be disconnected, ie Bank of lights or immovable equipment, is there a trick to doing this...
Replies
Views
HappyHippyDad
HappyHippyDad
R
Hello everyone, I'm newly registered having read the boards from the shadows for a while. I have a question about neutral to earth faults and RCDs. I have read around this as much as I can but being relatively newly qualified my experience isn't as much as the collective members here so I...
Replies
Views
Roadhousezamora
R
D
Hi all, I was testing a domestic premises In Ireland during the week for Continuity, pre-connection. usong the Fluke 1663 megger, I had a small issue during the day related to the mA setting on f4. During continuity testing you can set to 10mA or 250mA. My question is which is the correct...
Replies
Views
dodger421
dodger421
S
I’d like your opinions on a scenario I’ve come across. A certificate was produced which contained errors and while there were still faults on the installation. This was corrected, but some time later further faults became apparent. What should I do? Here’s some detail – I’m a retired...
Replies
Views
Lister1987
Lister1987
LewisM
Hello I you are all well This is hard to explain but basically doing a three phase install and there is no power yet so I wanted to test two lighting circuits before the lifter went, I used an extension lead and connected live to phase L2 (that's what the lights were on) Neutral to the neutral...
Replies
Views
LewisM
LewisM

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.