Discuss EV charging point in a terraced house in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening Guys,

got an interesting job request from a client, they are basically wanting a charging point installing outside his house so he can charge his car. My biggest problem is running his charging lead across the public pavement in front of his house.

I’m thinking I can get some sort of vulcanised rubber cable protector that I can put the cable in and link up to his car. I’ve contacted a few wholesalers asking for some suggestions but not really got anywhere.
Anyone done a charging point in a terraced house?

TIA

Strange as it may seem it's not against the law, but does come with potential issues;

Keep in mind that there are no legal restrictions on charging your car with a cable that lies across the pavement. There is also no licensing required. But the Highway Act does give city councils the authority to remove cables in locations that are not suitable. And many councils have strongly advised against it. However, as EVs become more popular, councils may see this as an opportunity to make changes to these policies, especially if innovations like kerbside and lamp post charging prove viable.
Also note that if someone is injured or property damaged due to your cable, you may face a claim. Your homeowner’s insurance may not cover this. Do consult your insurer and consider safer alternative options.

even if it could be done, what about if someone else is parked ther so customer can't get close to the charge point. even worse 1 of his neighbours is using his leccy to charge their own car.

I can see more and more of these type of access issues,regarding charging....i suppose it will start to self-regulate,when the limiting factor,starts to be supply and infrastructure....i know i'm glad not to be in the charger fitting job....?

....you can bet my first three fitting jobs,would be a tent,an igloo and 10th floor flat....

Strange as it may seem it's not against the law, but does come with potential issues;

Keep in mind that there are no legal restrictions on charging your car with a cable that lies across the pavement. There is also no licensing required. But the Highway Act does give city councils the authority to remove cables in locations that are not suitable. And many councils have strongly advised against it. However, as EVs become more popular, councils may see this as an opportunity to make changes to these policies, especially if innovations like kerbside and lamp post charging prove viable.
Also note that if someone is injured or property damaged due to your cable, you may face a claim. Your homeowner’s insurance may not cover this. Do consult your insurer and consider safer alternative options.
Where does that citation come from?

Last edited:

Well evcableshop are wrong. Even standing still on a highway, is an offence technically and you could be liable for arrest. Think of demonstrators sitting in the road, thats one of the offences they can be arrested for. Skips you need a council licence, and there's all sorts of other things you can be convicted for, to do with obstruction of the highway.

'Keep in mind that there are no legal restrictions on charging your car with a cable that lies across the pavement'. I've corrected that for them.

This is an issue that needs addressing, when we all have ev vehicles; but consider if everyone ran cables across their footpath, it could be quite dangerous.

Nice to see the confirmation that the highways agency doesn't allow it.

I would hazard a bet,that in terms of Haringey Councils set-aside,for legal expenditure......trailing cables would be matter No.617 ......

How about overhead, on a swivel arm (bit like some petrol pumps), safe height above pavement so doesn't obstruct.
Might look a little unsightly in the front garden but ......

Crackin idea....we can link them all together,and connect them to a pair of tin strips,centre of each carriageway...then finally,after years of ridicule and derision,from all my pals,i can at last,wheel my full scale scalextric,out of the garage,and take Greta out,on the ride of a lifetime.?

Reply to EV charging point in a terraced house in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock