Discuss Exposed National Wiring Standards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A couple of months old document, that I had not seen, https://eandt.------.org/content/ar...ational-wiring-scandal-putting-lives-at-risk/ Apologies if been posted before.

Last edited:
This link works
Exposed: The national wiring scandal putting lives at risk - https://tinyurl.com/md294nvu Thanks Tim !

Its a decent article , but anyone who has been around the industry over the past 2 decades its nothing new

I see more dodgy rubbish wiring lashed in now than ever before

Carp DIY stuff , rubbish dangerous kitchen wiring and don't even get me started of diabolical new build Sh!t wiring

I am rewiring all the sockets on a 10 year old house this week and the poor home owner is having to fork out £1500 for the privilege

It's a good article, the main sentence that resonated for me was
"nobody has grasped that the actual cost of doing a genuine EICR is way, way greater than what the market value is”.

That's spot on.
I've recently done a little experiment. I get lots of enquiries to do EICRs for the PRS.
Unless it's a private landlord I never get the job if I submit a vaguely sensible quote for 4 hours work.
I’ve started lowering the quote each time to see how low I have to go to get the work.
It seems £150 is the highest that stands any chance. (I then say forget it!)

I would hazard a guess that over half the EICR out there aren't worth the paper that they are scribbled on

They for most part are a waste of time to even bother with , we know the guys out there doing them for £75 a pop from their van and they won't stop so why bother trying to

Reply to Exposed National Wiring Standards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock