Discuss extension cord thru ceiling going in attic ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ktnwin

DIY
Reaction score
I like to be able to connect an electrical tool such as small vacuum cleaner to clean things on the attic or a light.
For convenience, I like to plug one end of this cord to an outlet on the ground level, then let it run straight up to a small hole on the ceiling to the attic. So, only a few feet of this cord will be below the ceiling, the remaining will be on the attic.
I ONLY plug this cord in the outlet when I am about to go up the attic to do some work (usually less than 40 mins).
When done, I unplug the cord from the outlet. This way, the cord on the attic has no electricity. To be even safer, I could put install a timer outlet so electricity will be cut off after a set time (45 mins for example).
My question: does this scenario violate NEC code ?

Not 100% sure about code violations, however it is a tried and tested method all around the world.
I would not recommend a timer on it though, the risk of being stranded in the dark when the timer runs out is far greater than accidentally leaving it on for a while.

Not 100% sure about code violations, however it is a tried and tested method all around the world.
I would not recommend a timer on it though, the risk of being stranded in the dark when the timer runs out is far greater than accidentally leaving it on for a while.
I do not worry about the light goes off due to time-out. My wife always hang around when I go in the attic, she can reset the timer every 30 min. On top of that, I have a head lamp (+ one extra), the power is mainly for other things (hand held vac, drill, etc..), the cordless version of these tools may not be strong enough.

I like to be able to connect an electrical tool such as small vacuum cleaner to clean things on the attic or a light.
For convenience, I like to plug one end of this cord to an outlet on the ground level, then let it run straight up to a small hole on the ceiling to the attic. So, only a few feet of this cord will be below the ceiling, the remaining will be on the attic.
I ONLY plug this cord in the outlet when I am about to go up the attic to do some work (usually less than 40 mins).
When done, I unplug the cord from the outlet. This way, the cord on the attic has no electricity. To be even safer, I could put install a timer outlet so electricity will be cut off after a set time (45 mins for example).
My question: does this scenario violate NEC code ?
As already been said don’t add a timer because you will be walking a fine line of code violations. The only thing I can think of as far as the code book there is no mention of what your doing except adding a Sleeve to protect your drop cord. Just keep doing what your doing and do not alter any electrical devices and you will be fine

As already been said don’t add a timer because you will be walking a fine line of code violations. The only thing I can think of as far as the code book there is no mention of what your doing except adding a Sleeve to protect your drop cord. Just keep doing what your doing and do not alter any electrical devices and you will be fine
If a timer outlet is a code violation, I WON'T DO IT. I like to stick to the NEC code.

Reply to extension cord thru ceiling going in attic ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock