Discuss Extension leads passing through walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've come across a number of instances recently where the occupant of a house has run extension leads clipped on and passing through walls to provide additional sockets. One instance they had an extension lead of 4 plugs screwed onto their kitchen counter wall, plugged into one of the double socket outlets. I know we should code excessive use of extension leads but what about these more permanent additions that may only number one or two?

As above was told by an niceic inspector that anything on a plug top is NOT part of the electrical installation

anything plugged into a socket outlet is not within the remit of EICRs to BS7671 as it's not fixed wiring or equipment. all you can do is point it out to them .
This is the odd aspect, strictly speaking it is not fixed wiring despite its physical appearance. Which is also why PAT testing is now called something else to cover non-fixed wiring that is not portable.

Even though it will always be known as "PAT testing" (where the 'testing' is given twice) much as the MOT is still called that despite the Ministry of Transport being long gone.

Put it down as a note. Obviously if it looks unsafe that should be given in writing as clearly and forcibly as if it was a an EICR fail point, and get the owner to acknowledge it so you are covered if something really goes badly wrong.

That is being debated on this forum!

I wonder which point it comes under the regulations for circus events, etc?
I know it is. I'm the one who added the complete house scenario to the mix.
The consensus in that thread had edged towards it being covered by BS7671, but now a post here states that it's not.

2.8 Installing fixed electrical equipment is within the scope of Part P, even if the final connection is by a standard 13A plug and socket, but is notifiable only if it involves work set out in regulation 12(6A)

2.9 Installing prefabricated, modular wiring (for example for kitchen lighting systems) linked by plug and socket connectors is also within the scope of Part P

Quoted from Part P of the Building Regulations 2013. Just to show that there are instances where equipment that is fed from a standard plug and socket need to be given consideration.

That is being debated on this forum!

I wonder which point it comes under the regulations for circus events, etc?

I don't know about Circus, but we build motorsport trailers which have 32/63/125A 3 phase male inlet socket which are plugged into via a Land-Line or built in generator.

Some race circuits/events require a yearly EICR for each trailer before allowed on site.
There are limitations on these, as its only dead test/RCD test and inspection. As its irrelevant doing ZS/ZE etc.
Bizarrely unless its for Formula 1, then anything can turn up and be plugged in!

And all new builds are provided with a installation certificate.

I would imagine circus etc are much more vigilant, as members of the public are around them.

But anyway, this is far from the scenario of a 13A extension lead in a house......

The thing with an extension lead is that it’s only used to plug in other appliances, (or conservatories) so it’s not part of BS7671.

Most multi socket leads come with keyholes on the back to hang it on screws so are designed for semi-permanent installation.

Reply to Extension leads passing through walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock