Discuss Exterior RCD protected IP66 double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mdljk

-
Reaction score
Hello. I need an outdoor socket and bought a ‘kit’ that allows a ‘soft wire’ IP66 socket. It is connected inside through the wall to an indoor socket by flex and a captive RCD plug. Unfortunately they sent a ‘hardwired’ unit which costs more but leaves no trailing leads inside. So I’d like to make use of it BUT ... being hardwired I would take a fused spurs off an existing socket on a Ring Circuit and connect the outside socket to that (IP66 grommets included).

However, whilst the ‘soft-wire’ option complies with regs as it is essentially an extension cable through the wall, I am aware that the hard wired unit may well need certification. Please someone confirm either way so that I can either return for the soft wired unit or go ahead with a hard wire install. As you have guessed I have electrical competence but as a diy-er. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13
if you are competent to install it, can't you test and produce a MWC?

basically, you are just adding a socket to an existing circuit. it is not notifiable under part p. Basic testing would be desirable to confirm a safe installation. We genarally advise that it's best to call in a qualified sparks, but only you know your capabilities, and at the end of the day, it's your decision what to do.

basically, you are just adding a socket to an existing circuit. it is not notifiable under part p. Basic testing would be desirable to confirm a safe installation. We genarally advise that it's best to call in a qualified sparks, but only you know your capabilities, and at the end of the day, it's your decision what to do.
Thanks Telectric, I will take all of that on board. My concern is over the fact that I will need to spur off an existing Interior socket (Ok competent and compliant so far ?) but then I shall be adding an ‘outdoor’ socket off that fused spur, which I felt might be notifiable. But good to hear from an expert like yourself, that an outdoor socket is not notifiable. Thank you

Thanks Telectric, I will take all of that on board. My concern is over the fact that I will need to spur off an existing Interior socket (Ok competent and compliant so far ?) but then I shall be adding an ‘outdoor’ socket off that fused spur, which I felt might be notifiable. But good to hear from an expert like yourself, that an outdoor socket is not notifiable. Thank you
correct. it was originally notifiable as outside works , but a few years ago, they reduced the list of notifiable works in England, but not in Wales. as long as it's not a new circuit, it's no longer notifiable. Do you have any test gear at all?

As above the existing circuit needs testing to verify where you wish to connect your new socket is viable, from here we cannot tell you this. Does the existing circuit already have 30ma rcd protection.

correct. it was originally notifiable as outside works , but a few years ago, they reduced the list of notifiable works in England, but not in Wales. as long as it's not a new circuit, it's no longer notifiable. Do you have any test gear at all?
That is good news for me as a lot of instructions with fittings must be out of date and hence the reason I need your help. Yes I have a multi meter ....test for earth continuity?

The forum has a policy not to give step by step guidance to those who have limited electrical knowledge for obvious reasons. To advise on how to test your circuit to ensure it is safe to add the new socket will be inappropriate. Whilst in some circumstances we can give advise this is not one of those.

The forum has a policy not to give step by step guidance to those who have limited electrical knowledge for obvious reasons. To advise on how to test your circuit to ensure it is safe to add the new socket will be inappropriate. Whilst in some circumstances we can give advise this is not one of those.
I quite understand and apologise if my post appeared that way. I was merely responding to the question “do you have any test gear” to which I answered, but I can we’ll see and understand your point. Thank you
[automerge]1595944670[/automerge]
As above the existing circuit needs testing to verify where you wish to connect your new socket is viable, from here we cannot tell you this. Does the existing circuit already have 30ma rcd protection.
Yes it does. And now I understand the ‘step by step’ issue ?. I hadn’t read your post Westward before I replied to Telectrics last post ?

Last edited:

Reply to Exterior RCD protected IP66 double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net