Discuss extract fan and part f in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think its part f. Can anyone give me or point to a definitive answer to extract fans in bathrooms?
I've done a rewire on a house which is refurbed for rental (and no extension). I put in the wiring for bathroom extract fan as requested. However customer didn't then want one (?!). I said you don't have to have one as there was an opening window (purge extraction would suffice).
Building Control have been in and said it needs one.
I'm not saying building control are wrong (they may not have said 'needs', I wasn't there), they may have recommended it. Either way, any advice as to be able to advise future customers on this matter.
Thanks.

/too long - are we obliged to put fan in bathroom with window?

Have a look at the approved document for Part F on the Planning Portal and this specifies what you are required to do.

If you look at page 40 section 7.23 it does state that you do not need to put a fan in if there was not one there already.

However if Building Control say they want something they normally get it!

The general rule would be to install an extract fan in the bathroom, would not need overrun if there is a window.

Last edited:
Haha, downloaded that yesterday, read about 10 pages and my head was full. I knew a kind soul would point me towards the relevant part.
Thanks.
She's going ahead with it as BC have said so, but id like to be able to put my reasoning across if she asks why I said she didn't need it.

My local LABC seem to have an obsession with bathroom fans....every job they insist a bathroom/showerroom has an extract fan.

It does seem to depend on how LABC view the rules/regs themselves and end of the day they do get what they want as they have the final say on signing a job off.

Reply to extract fan and part f in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net