Discuss Extract fans in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

slrichardson

Had our nic annual inspection recently and the inspector mentioned that fans are generally required to be protected by a 3a fuse. Fans generally on 6a light circuit. He recommended putting lights on a 3a mcb. We have taken to fitting pir fan with fused spur as isolator instead of traditional 3 pole isol. What are your thoughts??

Had our nic annual inspection recently and the inspector mentioned that fans are generally required to be protected by a 3a fuse. Fans generally on 6a light circuit. He recommended putting lights on a 3a mcb. We have taken to fitting pir fan with fused spur as isolator instead of traditional 3 pole isol. What are your thoughts??

I thought you had to use fused spur with 3amp fuse in aswell as 3 pole isol.

all depends on what fan i fit tbh mate..... different fans have different manufactures instructions some want fan isolator some want fuse spur.... i try and follow them but each job is different.

i would never down grade the mcb though, unless you did some prior investigation as to what current is in the circuit.

Never heard this before and on an MCB by the time the fan bursts into flames the breaker will have tripped. Might this be an assesor not knowing the practical but having loads of theoretical exp?? but as far as I can remember it's as important to get the fusing right as the isolation. Fixed a boiler today that has been "serviced by BG" for 4 years. No isolation, how did they service it for all this time???

Reply to Extract fans in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net