Discuss Extractor Fan Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Moaning All,

Quick question.

Need to install and extractor fan in a newly built kitchen.
The easiest point for me to run it from is a single socket about a metre away from where it's to be installed.
However, the socket is a spur from the kitchen ring, it is Fused and is used for the power for the cooker hood.

Is this a viable option?

Thanks.
T

Yes you can use this not ideal athough and obviously they will both be isolated in the case of switching the fcu off

How is the fan to be controlled, pull cord?

if the socket is fed from a FCU, then no reason why you can't change it to a double and plug fan in, fitted with a 5A plug fuse. i assume the existing socket has the cooker hood plugged into it.

Quick answer
Yes.

Long answer.
You can’t have a spur from a spur unless it’s fused at origin. (You say it’s fused, but do you mean the spur, or the hood?)

A few questions back to you.

This is a new kitchen? Why was the extractor not included in the plans?

New kitchen. Are you sure the cooker hood is a spur and not on the ring?

Does your cooker hood not have a fan and extract anyway?

Thanks for the swift replies! Legends.

So it's a new kitchen. The cooker hood is run from a Fused spur. I believe the builder was under the impression that the cooker hood 'fan and extract' would be sufficient but LABC have said there must be an extractor fan installed.
I'm not entirely clued up on the plans but I think it was something to do with the fact that a large window had been removed from the original plans to make room for more storage space, although don't quote me on that.
It could've been just completely missed!

I think I'll go with telectrix plan of changing the single socket to a double and have the cooker hood and the fan plugged in. Seems like the simplest option?

@Andy78 Of course thank you too.
I missed your post being a typical guy and only paying attention to one thing at once!
Cheers to ALL. You are all awesome and always ridiculously helpful.
Job done now. Done what telectrix said.
Again, thanks to everyone.

Can we have a pic of the finished product.... We like pics... and I'm illiterate...

Reply to Extractor Fan Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock