Discuss Faulty socket?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jeff7777

Hi I am not a electrician but wondered if anyone could help. This morning I put the washing machine on and about a hour later my rcd tripped out. I could smell a burning smell from behind the washing machine so pulled it out. Behind is a double socket with a hole burnt on it. Further inspection the neutral terminal had melted but the wires weren't that hot and checked and them for heat and breaks back to the rcd which seemed ok. I replaced the socket and all seems fine. Could it be the original socket was fault all could there be another problem. The original socket was fitted about 3 yrs ago and seemed ok until today.
many thanks.

Hmm, how did you check the cables for heat? Please tell me you isolated everything before putting your fingers in there.
It sounds like a loose termination has been arcing away and has finally given up the ghost. Might be an idea to get a spark in to check things over for you.
Post up your rough location, one of our members will be near you

Usually caused by heavy loads on a cheap rubbish socket....or a loose connection at the socket. I'ts likely that the plug on th W/M may be damaged by heat as well.....best cut it off and replace. As Trev said though....it may be best to get a check....long range diagnosis can be inaccurate!

Yeah turned everything off. I am in the Norwich area. I would ask my father in law who is a electrician but he's on holiday. Typical!!!! I wondered if the vibration from the washing machine loosened the terminal in the socket made it blow.

Yeah turned everything off. I am in the Norwich area. I would ask my father in law who is a electrician but he's on holiday. Typical!!!! I wondered if the vibration from the washing machine loosened the terminal in the socket made it blow.

Thats quite an insightful diagnosis , you should be an electrician lol.
Plus you changed a socket without killing yourself - youre already halfway to Domestic Installer status ;-)

Thats quite an insightful diagnosis , you should be an electrician lol.
Plus you changed a socket without killing yourself - youre already halfway to Domestic Installer status ;-)

Biff are you trying to say that the level of entry for Domestic installer has now been raised substantially

Thanks Trev. I think my father in law is back on tues. I will get him to have a look.
thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks wirepuller.

in the meanwhile, just keep an eye on it, just in case.

Reply to Faulty socket?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock