Discuss Feed for Garden Sheds in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’ve a project at home coming up. Which involves running a feed from the submain board in the garage on the outside as it’s been converted into a room, then along the fence, to a 30ma RCD, which is enclosed in a Weatherproof Box, which has feeds to both the sheds in HiTuff. I’ve been given White FP200 from my Uncle, whose a time served industrial electrician, said that it would be fine.

I’m I correct in that it would mechanical protection? Also due to the garage having a door on the back I was looking at it and it would need to go behind the guttering. Im just worried that the outer sheath could perish over time.

I will try and get some pictures up of the garage and what I’ve got to do for clarification.

Having had a look here:
15. Are FP Cables suitable for outside installations?
FP Cables are suitable for outdoor installation with exposure to normal daylight UV. Colours may fade over time however sheath performance remains unaffected.

It has an earthed metallic shield to is safe for use on a non-RCD circuit, however, it is not going to be as tough as SWA. However, for routing around walls, etc where it is unlikely to get much physical abuse it should be fine to use, and is "free" in your case so cost not an issue.

been to a couple of jobs on pubs where outside lights have been run in white FP200. sheath totally disintegrated ove a few years, exposing the foil, which itself was corroding.

Tin hat on FP is not a good idea for any electrical installations apart from F/A and E/L installations, the foil binding is nothing more than a protection from EMF noise and interference.

been to a couple of jobs on pubs where outside lights have been run in white FP200. sheath totally disintegrated ove a few years, exposing the foil, which itself was corroding.
Well that is a bit different from what they claim!
[automerge]1599916570[/automerge]
Another thing the OP has not said is what the CSA is of the cable he has been given. That alone might be the deal-breaker as some uses of FP will only need 1mm which is not enough for a 'power' circuit. Even 1.5mm might be too low from a voltage drop point of view.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I was maybe thinking of using HiTuff possibly 4mm. As the only other way would be to use saddles and pvc conduit on the facias which I don’t think would look that good. But it maybe the only option.

The tuff sheathed stuff is fine for UV, etc, but no metallic shield so needs to come off an RCD supply. If it is not RCD'd at that point then use SWA (easy to get by the meter) or Flexishield (usually just reels of 100m).

Made a start on this today as I had a day off. I've started with running the 20mm white conduit along the facias. I then wanted to have a look and see how easy it was to do the black conduit along the fence. However....

Not being quite an expert in doing a double set, I would find it quite difficult to achieve the desired result. So I was thinking of some options:

• Fix a through box to each of the concrete posts using some strong adhesive, each is 6ft.
  • Buy some premade Inspection Bends or Elbows.
  • Return the black conduit and fixings and use some Flexible Conduit, that is suitable for outside use.

If you have limited experience of bending a double set isn't going to be an instant success, normally. Persist with it, you may waste some conduit but it will be satisfying when you achieve it.

If you have limited experience of bending a double set isn't going to be an instant success, normally. Persist with it, you may waste some conduit but it will be satisfying when you achieve it.

Exactly this. It's worth taking the time to learn skills, rather than take shortcuts.

My experience of plastic conduit is limited to a single occasion, but I decided to go all in with a double set tight up against a 90. Might have benefitted from beginners luck, but it turned out alright on the second attempt.

I’ve seen people use heat guns on a few videos to slowly bend the conduit. But I’m nor sure if it’s a fad. I’ve bought Marshall Tufflex Conduit, it feels good quality.
[automerge]1601590933[/automerge]
I know I’ve bought the conduit and the FP200 2.5 was free. But I may return it if possible and just buy SWA as 1.5mm2 3 core would be more than enough. But then again I won’t learn anything taking the easy option.

Last edited:

Reply to Feed for Garden Sheds in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net