Discuss Finding space for new wiring. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

amezcua

My wife has inherited a sixties house with it`s limited amount of wiring. To bring it up to modern standards I need to have plenty of extra wiring fitted. Basic info; The comparable house prices in the area are £400 k ish. It`s all got nice smooth plaster and ceilings. But the ground floor is solid. The first room floors are thick plywood. The loft ,I am told , is "stuffed full " literally I`m told , of insulation. Is there a way to rewire this property without too many nightmares. Are false (plastered ) ceilings to carry new wiring feasible to avoid horrendous dirt and damage all over the house?

Yes it is possible to install a secondary ceiling below exisiting ones of that is what you want. although you would still have to get the cables through the exisiting ones somehow anyway.

Usually when rewiring you do it from above so floor boards up and through loft spaces etc. Most electriciains are used too working with insulation it is just one of the many hazards of the job.

You could fit false ceilings but you then have to get from out of it to your accessory, so that could mean chopping walls out.

You could try dado trunking for sockets and even switches, but then you need to get to lights, even with a IR lighting system you still need a 230 volt supply to the light.

Unfortunately unless you want to sacrifice aesthetics for lack off mess, in a domestic situation aesthetics/mess go hand in hand

In reality making good over switch drops, around new sockets and screwing the floor boards back down are enevitable with a rewire.....

put up with a bit of a mess for a couple of weeks ( won't be too bad if you get a good spark on the job, then when all done, decorate and you've got a palace ( with safe electrics)

A sixties house in original condition suggests not only a rewire but new CH plumbing and and other interesting anomalies.

IMO I would get some boards up and see what the internal fabric looks like.

Then decide whether the cost of upgrading will significantly increase the house price.

You may find to jump to the next level of value you have to do major interior design work.

and the £20,000 kitchen, £18,000 bathroom. leave the electrics as they are, nobody will see them. where have i heard it all before?

Thanks for the advice. Today I delved under some carpets and found boards had been raised before and then screwed back down so that`s promising. The loft was not as bad as I was told. The insulation is thick but manageable.It`s not going to surprise an electrician anyway. Houses are selling slowly though. There will be a log jam soon.

I didn't know that trev. Do you know what he was referring to at the time? Would be cool to know :)
He was referring to the purges mate. When someone (I believe it was Trotsky) asked him to justify killing his supposed opponents even though he could be killing innocents that was what he said

Reply to Finding space for new wiring. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock