SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Fitting SPD as standard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Evening all

Is anyone fitting surge as standard in domestic property’s?

We are based down in Dorset which has 3 different flash density’s!!

So I always base is on worse case with most of our stuff being in urban areas and always unable to confirm length of supply cable! My calc is usually;

Urban 850/(1x0.50) = 1700 No SPD
Rural 85/(1X0.50) = 170 SPD

Thoughts?

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
TBH you can get SPDs for around £30+VAT so cost wise it makes sense just to fit them.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - I don’t do that many domestic boards but I’ve been pricing SPD in now. I have recently fitted 3 Wylex flex S boards (NM1206FLEXS with 12 ways left after iso and SPD). These come prefitted with SPD and cabling and are nice :) .

Hi - I don’t do that many domestic boards but I’ve been pricing SPD in now. I have recently fitted 3 Wylex flex S boards (NM1206FLEXS with 12 ways left after iso and SPD). These come prefitted with SPD and cabling and are nice :) .
What's the difference in cost to a non factory fitted spd unit.

ashrow

-
Arms
Yes i am fitting them as standard now.
I also only fit rcbo's as standard now and never seem to get any complaints on price.
Not fitted any AFFD's yet

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
I’m fitting as standard when installing a new CU all part of price.

If I’m fitting a new circuit I’m giving the customer the option of serge protection.

SparkySy

-
Arms
I've been fitting the Hager version with pre-wired SPD, good quality unit once you tidy up the wiring to the SPD and neutral bars! Customer requested dual RCD as it was the cheaper option but usually I would try and go for full rcbo.IMG_20190808_1556523.jpg

IMG_20190808_1230338.jpg

Those little ID stickers fit under the plastic flaps on the mcbs then you can put further info on the strip sticker.

SparkySy

-
Arms
Thanks @westward10 every day's a school day I will be going back to finish the bathroom off so will tidy up the labeling, have a new label maker so will be playing with that:)

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to Fitting SPD as standard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom