Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Flex used in domestic install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi I have been asked to carry out a second fix on a house another spark wired and now hasn't time to do. When looking at the job I noticed he had used 1.5 t&e from the consumer unit to the first smoke detector then looped around in 4 core flex. Them same was doe on the 2 way Switching extractor fans and room stats. I personally use 3 core and earth. What is people's views on this?

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
There is no reason why flexible cables cannot be used, providing the csa is sufficient for the purpose. Possibly Spark #1 had a roll of 4-core flex on the van he wanted to use up.

You sure it wasn’t a plumber or hvac guy who wired the job..

Seen a few of these type jobs all wired up in flex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just everywhere were 3core and earth would be used. I wasn't sure as I can't find anywhere in the regs saying you can or can not.

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
It's pretty clear in the Regs that it is permissible. That's not to say that many wouldn't consider it poor practice though, and given that it's more expensive to do it this way it's hard to see what is gained. I bet he hadn't intended ferruling the ends either.

Charlie_

-
Arms
As long as it’s heavy duty flex then it is ok you use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes it will have to be certified as I think it is a build to sell on so more than likely niceic cert will have to be issued. It looks to be 3184Y cable.

Reply to Flex used in domestic install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom