Discuss Flourescent lights parallel circuit not very bright in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G100917

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've wired up 10 flourescent lights in a parallel circuit for a light box as in the picture. Each bulb is 36w and 3250 lumens. The lights are connected to a switch and a plug with a 3a fuse using 1.5mm round cable. When I turn the lights on they don't seem anywhere near 32500 lumens, and several of the lights have a ripple effect which stops after some time. Does anyone know why the lights wouldn't be particularly bright? Any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• Flourescent lights parallel circuit not very bright IMG_20210810_101248 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210810_101248.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 12
The accumulation of lumens don’t add up like that. I’m not sure what the long winded formula might be, but it’s not just “lumens times 10”

what size is your light box? You can get 600mm LED square panels fairly cheap, and various outputs and colour temperature.

As above with the lamps so close you have overlapping light so the total output is not straight forward.
I don't know and don't now need to know the formula.

Are all the lamps and controllers the same make and all new?

Personally I could not detect 32500 lumens just by my very experienced eyes, I couldn't even tell if 10 lamps were 10 times brighter than 1, I would need a Lumen meter.

Bear in mind that they will not reach full brightness until they have been on for 10min or so, the tubes have to warm up even after thy have initially lit up.

Many thanks all for the very helpful replies. I hadn't understood how lumens work so was expecting something extremely bright, the lights are all brand new and Philips. It turns out the lights are in fact bright enough for our needs anyway (silkscreen exposure). Thanks again for the insights much appreciated!

You would have more light if you'd lined the box with something highly reflective before fitting the lamps. As it is, a considerable amount of your light will be going into heating up the back of the box.

Hi all,
I've wired up 10 flourescent lights in a parallel circuit for a light box as in the picture. Each bulb is 36w and 3250 lumens. The lights are connected to a switch and a plug with a 3a fuse using 1.5mm round cable. When I turn the lights on they don't seem anywhere near 32500 lumens, and several of the lights have a ripple effect which stops after some time. Does anyone know why the lights wouldn't be particularly bright? Any advice is much appreciated thanks.
To improve the output you could get yourself some polished thin aluminium sheet and make a reflector to go behind the lamps. If you google fluorescent lamp reflectors it will give you some ideas

To improve the output you could get yourself some polished thin aluminium sheet and make a reflector to go behind the lamps. If you google fluorescent lamp reflectors it will give you some ideas
That's a great idea. I considered painting the back in gloss white or some reflective paint or even using aluminum foil tape, although wondered if that would then create a large conductive area which would be better avoided

You would have more light if you'd lined the box with something highly reflective before fitting the lamps. As it is, a considerable amount of your light will be going into heating up the back of the box.
certainly will do that for the next one cheers for the advice

Reply to Flourescent lights parallel circuit not very bright in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock