Discuss Food trailer amp socket advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kadc1989

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there

Asking for some big help!!

I have Jsut had a permanent pitch agreed, yay! For a food trailer.

I keep trying to get my head around the amp socket that the supplier would need to have installed...

I am wanting to run -
Potatoe oven
Stove top
Water heater and pump
Coffee machine and pump
Larder fridge
Undercounter fridge
Cold fridge counter

I'm not 100% on the W, A & V even tho inahbe read and read about this. But luckily that also where I came across this fab forum ??

If I could get some Insight and help on this that would be fab! Thankyou Kirsty

Each of your equipment will have a kW rating. Ie, 2kW = 2000W
Divide this by the supply voltage, mains in UK is taken as 230….

So 2000/230 is 8.7A

That’s it, oversimplified……

Straight off of the top of my head, I'll say you're going to need a RCD protected blue 32A socket outlet for that lot, but as littlespark says above, calculations need to be done.

Yep - years of plugging up food traders tells me that's a 32A supply all day long. So your wagon needs a 32A ceeform INLET (male pins) which feeds a small internal consumer unit with RCD protected ring main and a lighting circuit, probably also a hard wired outlet for the water heater.

You'll need to connect to a 32A ceeform outlet which also has RCD protection. My earnest colleagues on here will instantly cry "RCD discrimination!", but trust me, there's a good reason!

My earnest colleagues on here will instantly cry "RCD discrimination!", but trust me, there's a good reason!
Definitely! The socket could be used by others, whose equipment does not have its own RCD protection, and the food trailer, being on wheels, and able to move around, may at some point be plugged into a non RCD protected socket.

Definitely! The socket could be used by others, whose equipment does not have its own RCD protection, and the food trailer, being on wheels, and able to move around, may at some point be plugged into a non RCD protected socket.
It's also simple enough as the fact that any event site sparks will look a lot less closely at the internals before deciding to plug-up!!

Reply to Food trailer amp socket advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net