Discuss Full spread of tests after CU change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I certainly don't test a new install the way I was taught at college. The main difference being the only RFC testing I do is end to end continuity of the 3 conductors at the C/U. If anyone would like to slag me off for this I would appreciate if you could accompany said slagging off with an example of how doing it this way could create a dangerous situation.

I will also happily admit that I get my R1+R2 readings after a C/U change by calculating Zs-Ze or R1+R2/4 in the case of an RFC. If they ask for an EICR I will give them one. If they want a C/U change with a cert, that is what they get.

So you only do the tests which you deem necessary Dave?

"The main difference being the only RFC testing I do is end to end continuity of the 3 conductors at the C/U"
Not a slagging but how do you prove polarity and IR

Your earth loop tester will go a long way in proving polarity at each socket although admittedly not infallable.
IR test can be a one hit global test before removing the old CU.
Like Dave says , if they want a detailed inspection they can pay for an EICR.

I certainly don't test a new install the way I was taught at college. The main difference being the only RFC testing I do is end to end continuity of the 3 conductors at the C/U. If anyone would like to slag me off for this I would appreciate if you could accompany said slagging off with an example of how doing it this way could create a dangerous situation.

I will also happily admit that I get my R1+R2 readings after a C/U change by calculating Zs-Ze or R1+R2/4 in the case of an RFC. If they ask for an EICR I will give them one. If they want a C/U change with a cert, that is what they get.

thats fair enough for a new install. but when you have to do periodics on houses and you don't know how it's wired, you might want to do the rest of the tests just so you know whats what. recently i found what appeared to be a ring was just a load of radials spurred from the 1 and only point on the ring which was 6 feet from the DB, found by cross connecting L-CPC and testing each socket.
and about the R1+R2 reading for the cert, I always add r1 and r2 and divide by 4 and just write that down. thats what i was taught at college

Just realised Dave is talking CU change I'm talking new install.
I'll stfu now:)

The whole forum is talking CU change , hence the topic title in bold letters above your post.
Glad you could join us Trev lol.

My point really, in posting this thread, was simply to emphasise that although it's tempting to cut corners at times, there are times (especially on an old install) when doing all the tests not only gives you peace of mind, but can actually find a fault you really weren't expecting to find.

ok, i will. I recently was doing a PIR on an installation and was doing Ze at sockets. Couldn't get a reading at one half of a double socket outlet. No earth. Go figure. If I had only tested at one point in the ring then nobody would have ever realised the danger of no earth present at an outlet. Big lesson learned.

What cert do you now issue for a board change? I always have done an installation for the board , then a periodic for the circuits, but with periodics being replaced with eicr I assumed that it was now an installation and an eicr? Am I doing too much?

Before I finish a job for good I like to do a ramp test on each RCD somewhere in the circuit, just for that last minute "nice" factor. :)

Never understood the rationale. An RCD must not operate at half of its rated residual operating current but must operate within 200mS for a BS type or 300mS for a BS EN type at its rated residual operating current. Once that has been satisifed then the RCD is compliant so what is the purpose of a ramp test?

ok, i will. I recently was doing a PIR on an installation and was doing Ze at sockets. Couldn't get a reading at one half of a double socket outlet. No earth. Go figure. If I had only tested at one point in the ring then nobody would have ever realised the danger of no earth present at an outlet. Big lesson learned.

So what youre saying is one outlet of a double socket had no earth connection ?
Well thats a fault with the socket isnt it ? it wouldnt show up on any sort of cable tests ???
dont really understand your point.

What about polarity round your RFC? There was a guy killed not so long ago because of an L E reversal on a socket
Im not that stupid trev. Of that I am certain. I dont smoke drugs or drink before or during work either. The earth terminals on the sockets I use stand out like a sore thumb.

Reply to Full spread of tests after CU change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock