Discuss fuse board change to 18th edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not been on the 18th edition yet but would like to know from anyone who has the below:

In simple terms when carrying out a fuse board change over what would NEED to be done that i would not have done under 17th AMD 3 regulations with the new 18th edition regulations now being in force.

RCD protection for all lighting circuits if 522.6.101 does not apply. (reg. no. may be different to that, i'm still with the green bgb). advise cost of Arc protection and wait for customer to tell you to foxtrot oscar.

SPD’s rather than AFDD’s as you need to discuss with customer whether they are prepared to forgo such protection for the equipment it will protect.

Can’t see AFDD’s being installed much in a domestic dwelling at the moment especially as they are not mandatory.

Also overload protection of any BSEN 60947-3 switches and RCCB’s in coordination with the upfront ocpd and manufacturers instructions.
Overload protection of such devices are not solely protected by using diversity of the final circuits.

Last edited:
My understanding we is we are now meant to consider the type of rcd/rcbo protection fitted to allow for the large number of devices such as tvs, laptops and consoles etc that change the ac to dc.

My understanding we is we are now meant to consider the type of rcd/rcbo protection fitted to allow for the large number of devices such as tvs, laptops and consoles etc that change the ac to dc.
I don't believe that is new, although it may be stated more explicitly. Really Type AC RCDs should pretty much be a relic from the past. Many European countries stopped using them long ago. However here you have to press the wholesalers to get you Type A devices etc. although to be fair I think availability has improved over the past couple of years.

@Gavin John Hyde
That should of been made a appliance manufacturer problem!
I enquired about rcd types at my local wholesalers and they looked at me blankly and said no we just have the normal ones we have always sold, I'm guessing that some manufacturers are on the back foot again!

Not been on the 18th edition yet but would like to know from anyone who has the below:

In simple terms when carrying out a fuse board change over what would NEED to be done that i would not have done under 17th AMD 3 regulations with the new 18th edition regulations now being in force.

On the basis you normally swap old CU's for either dual RCD or RCBO units - a bit fat no change

As for mentioning AFDD's to clients .......... I'm not going to bother!

Next.

Also overload protection of any BSEN 60947-3 switches and RCCB’s in coordination with the upfront ocpd and manufacturers instructions.
Overload protection of such devices are not solely protected by using diversity of the final circuits.

Out of curiosity, as I'm not doing installation work currently, not done any 18th research etc, could you expand on that for me, please.

is this expanded enough?

How anyone can not you know anything about the 18th Ed changes after all this time is beyond my comprehension?

Girlie swot. :)
Its just I live and work so far in the back of nowhere anyone has ever heard of and I've managed to stay in the loop! It beggars belief that with all these manufacturers/CPS/wholesaler/ cinema talks online updates, carrier pigeon etc that someone working the industry can not be aware of what they should be doing as from 1 January 2019!? (excluding the IET that write the comic).

Its just I live and work so far in the back of nowhere anyone has ever heard of and I've managed to stay in the loop! It beggars belief that with all these manufacturers/CPS/wholesaler/ cinema talks online updates, carrier pigeon etc that someone working the industry can not be aware of what they should be doing as from 1 January 2019!? (excluding the IET that write the comic).

You've just really annoyed me there. :)

Reply to fuse board change to 18th edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net