Discuss Fuse board protection against fire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

While it may not be a requirement, you can get stuff like this if there is the desire for more protection:

Though going over the installed board with a torque screwdriver is probably a better course of action.

Hi guys interested to know what people on here use to keep the fire integrity off the fuse board for rear entry cable entering the board. Thanks
When using rear entry the knock outs tend to be huge. This can be reduced by cutting smaller holes in the surface you are mounting to.

If you get it right then you can avoid having to use that useless grommet strip they supply as well as minimising the gap around cables for fire integrity.

I use fire mate, you can get it from Toolstation for £3

InkedPXL_20201223_110048113_LI.jpg

I use fire mate, you can get it from Toolstation for £3

View attachment 64692
Makes additions a bit of a pain.

We are expected to consider future additions when installing DBs, filling the cable entries with gunk seems counterintuitive, to me anyway.

There is no requirement or regulation to do so, only to maintain ip rating of board. So nothing.
Look again Matthew;

Regulation Group 527 - Sealing of wiring system penetrations.

Where a wiring system passes through elements of building construction such as floors, walls, roofs, ceilings, partitions or cavity barriers, the openings remaining after passage of the wiring system shall be sealeda accordingto the degree of fire-resistance (if any) prescribed for the respective element of building construction
before penetration. This requirement is satisfied if the sealing of the wiring system concerned has passed a relevant type test meetingt therequirements of Regulation 527.2.3.

Look again Matthew;

Where a wiring system passes through elements of building construction such as floors, walls, roofs, ceilings, partitions or cavity barriers, the openings remaining after passage of the wiring system shall be sealeda accordingto the degree of fire-resistance (if any) prescribed for the respective element of building construction
before penetration. This requirement is satisfied if the sealing of the wiring system concerned has passed a relevant type test meetingt therequirements of Regulation 527.2.3.
I cannot see at any stage where that regulation mandates sealing a consumer unit where rear entry is being used. Maybe it's my interpretation of it, but if you could point out exactly where is says I have to seal the rear of a consumer unit with intumescent sealant I'd appreciate it.

Look again Matthew;

There is no degree of fire protection assigned to a consumer unit, the only stipulation is thay that the material is non combustible. This regulation is relevant to fire barriers and cables passing through them such as a 30min fire barrier or fire rated suspended ceiling, and sealing them to the correct rating after making a hole or entry in then for a cable to pass through. Although I understand where your coming from, it's totally irrelevant to a consumer unit, unless it is directly mounted on a fire barrier.

Look again Matthew;

The key note here is passing through certain protective elements. Should a wiring system breech a barrier or fire stop then yes it is compromised and requires some level of reinstating. Cables from the rear of a consumer unit into a cavity will not breech anything as such it just enters the cavity where, depending on the age of the building there will be cavity barriers to prevent the spread of smoke.

As an alternative to using fire retardant foam that makes it harder to add circuits, has anyone used intumescent pads? Something like this:
Yes it's more expensive but looks like its good to alter for future circuits.

As an alternative to using fire retardant foam that makes it harder to add circuits, has anyone used intumescent pads? Something like this:
Yes it's more expensive but looks like its good to alter for future circuits.
I'm sure I saw some video where that CJR fella was on about putting them in the back of all his fast fix boxes !!?

I'm sure I saw some video where that CJR fella was on about putting them in the back of all his fast fix boxes !!?

Yep, that where I saw them.

Problem would exist if fast fix boxes hadn't been invented. Horrible things, I've only ever used as a last resort.
You used to be able to get proper 35mm metal boxes with 'wings' at the side, that went behind the plasterboard, and a threaded hole in the back of the box that you fitted with an appropriate length 3.5mm screw to push against a piece of wood glued to the inside of the opposite board of the wall.

Reply to Fuse board protection against fire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net