Discuss Fuse switch sizing for a vsd in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lc1

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Following on from my question about reusing a fuse switch to supply a control panel containing a vsd. The rating of the drive is 18.5kw. We will need to use a motor rated fuse. We are planning on using a 10mm cable from the switch to the control panel. My query is would a gM32m 40A motor rated fuse be too small. I believe it seems small, has anyone else came across this before?

Thanks

Don't they usually tell you what size fuse to use in the manual?

I believe so but we are at an early stage and someone else will be buying the equipment. We are just finding a supply and saying preliminary sizing based on an 18.5kw vsd.

Yes we have sized that at approximately 10mm. And we have identified that the existing fuse switch type CM-UT 100A-415v can be reused, Wewould like to provide an estimated protection size, motor rated fuse gM so we have something to work with.

Thanks

... but we are at an early stage and someone else will be buying the equipment

Not being funny mate, but its hard to design something when you don't have all the info.
Best you can do is suggest a fuse size and state what vsd model you used to get the info.

That’s my issue it’s just generic at this stage. So I can say motor rated fuse gM63 80A. This seems overized to me though but can’t find a smaller one

Yes we have sized that at approximately 10mm. And we have identified that the existing fuse switch type CM-UT 100A-415v can be reused, Wewould like to provide an estimated protection size, motor rated fuse gM so we have something to work with.

Thanks

Surely you need to know the rating of the fuse before you calculate the cable size, not after?

A motor rated fuse is the last thing you want protecting a VSD.
The VSD protects the motor, the fuses in the supply protect the VSD which is an electronic device.
You need fast acting fuses as determined by the VSD manufacturer.
I've just retired and thrown all my VSD manuals out but here's a link to an ABB VSD and the fusing required.
Note, for a 18kw (25hp) they quote JJS50 fuse.
PDF page 32 actual page 22
https://library.e.abb.com/public/cb...04422cc/3AUA489002B5311_ACH400_00_UM_REVE.pdf

ideally Semiconductor fuses req for VSD drives. Is this not taken care of in the control panel?

Reply to Fuse switch sizing for a vsd in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock