Discuss Future of euro 6Vans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Around here (West London) the councils are busy installing public charging points on the pavements like they are going out of fashion.

I imagine this will spread to other areas soon, so it maybe that the problem of not having a driveway will become moot very shortly.
They will find a way round it .. induction charging by parking over a grid in the road is one way. Just drive on, drive off in morning and top up by mobile.. simples..

They will find a way round it .. induction charging by parking over a grid in the road is one way. Just drive on, drive off in morning and top up by mobile.. simples..

Be a long time before that happens.

An inductive field that large, would start having a negative effect on large amounts of equipment we use for people walking past.

First one that springs to mind is pacemakers.

An inductive field that large, would start having a negative effect on large amounts of equipment we use for people walking past.

Perhaps it will need a sensor to initialise it then.. like the large area of metal on top? I'm sure its not an insurmountable problem but all I'm saying is theres a lot of research going on in this area...

It may not be as far away as you suggest:

Inductive charging - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging#Electric_vehicles

Although I too remain a little sceptical but mainly on the grounds of efficiency and cost rather than the accidental disabling of pace makers.

Clearly the inductive field from the power transfer coils would only be switched on once sufficiently adequate close coupling had been achieved between charger and the vehicle and under these circumstances it is possible to imagine (at least in theory!) that the stray magnetic field would be small.

I was in Cardiff a few months ago... there are alot of new residential buildings there... one was brand new... they were still finishing off the landscaping etc... The entire ground floor of the building was a car park for the residents above... you could see into it from the sides. I was astonished that I could not see a single car charging point in there. Surely if the UK wants to be all electric as they say... all new builds should have this built in ?? Part of building regs ??

Reply to Future of euro 6Vans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net