Discuss Gas meter in cupboard and electric outlet proximity in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mariac

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I just hired an electrician to check and move an electric outlet to go under the TV in a cupboard adjacent to a gas meter, they did do it (attached pic). I was assured it was legal and safe (now not entirely convinced because of what I read about 1.5m rule). So if anyone could advice, does the cupboard being made out of fireproof plywood means it's safe? Is connecting and keeping an extension lead in the same cupboard as the socket a terrible idea? And if thats true is there any way we can make it safer, maybe by putting the electric stuff in another fireproof box or something?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 16.58.44.png
    861.7 KB · Views: 23
BS 6891:2005 Installation of low pressure gas pipework in domestic premises, clause 8.16.2 states that gas installation pipes must be spaced at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units

I think you are a factor of ten out in your figures! 150mm is not 1.5 metres.

I think you are a factor of ten out in your figures! 150mm is not 1.5 metres.

Oh yeah I did and I confused the two things I read. The article I was quoting was saying 150mm from pipes, but also said 1m from actual gas meter (article below).

So now I don't know anymore. Just don't want anything to blow up. :/ I guess in that case the question is does 1 meter rule then apply if the gas meter is surrounded by fireproof material

Last edited:

Reply to Gas meter in cupboard and electric outlet proximity in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net