Discuss Gas pipes and cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

APSH

Hi guys.
Just a quick question. Doing a ccu change for my assesment and a swa is close to the gas meter and pipes. It is 50mm from pipes so that is ok but only around 10-15mm from the meter as it is run behind it up agaianst the wall, and following the on-site guide you need a seperation distance of 150mm from the meter to electrical equipment. But it does state the distance can be reduced if a non-combustible barrier of insulating material is interposed and so was just wondering if using trunking around the swa would meet needs of regs in relation to using a non-combustible barrier of insulating material? as it comes up in a corner and is quite difficult to move as the meter is in the same corner. can't do much with the cable as it is swa and comes up in a small gap in the floor behind the gas meter and also under the floor it is run between wall and joist with a dwarf wall underneath and I just can't bend my arms the way i need to to be able to move it away. Thanks for your answers, sorry it is a basic question but don't want to get the assesment wrong

APSH

if you look closley at the diagram on pge 18 of the OSG the gap needed between a cable and gas pipes or metering equipment is 25mm and this can be reduced if the gas pipe is pvc wrapped or a barrier of electrically insulating material is interposed, the distance from electrical accesories must be 150mm.
I would say that as this is an armoured i would class it as double insulated so therefore negating the need for the gas pipe to be wrapped, In any case, as you have not put this cable in then you might get asked about it but it will not form part of the work that you will be assesed on

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with murdoch, also, can we not consider the armour of the SWA as a non-combustible barrier. (2nd tin hat off the peg)

Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice. Think it will have to stay where it is as I just can't get access to it to move it and will argue my case to the assesor if it comes up. Once again thanks alot for the advice.

Reply to Gas pipes and cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock