Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Gas soldering iron for heatshrink? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am looking for the best way to shrink heatshrink (cordless)?

I have used the Iroda micro-therm which was awful so I bought a heat gun to use instead, see pic below. However, I find it too much for heatshrink and after a few seconds (even on low setting) a flame envelopes the heatshrink, although this doesn't damage the heatshrink I would like more control.

heat gun.jpg

I notice a gas soldering iron is mentioned and this is what I am erring towards, is this effective? Does it take ages or is it fairly swift? Any other suggestions, flameless heat gun?

This (below) was mentioned by Lee in a thread but looks as though it takes ages, anyone with first hand experience?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-787...dp/B000ELJ0EC?ie=UTF8&ref_=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1

Cheers.

I posted a few weeks back, asking for similar advice; http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-tools-products/109074-hot-air-gun-heat-shrink.html

In the end I bought one of those crème brulee torches, got one from Currys; Buy KITCHEN CRAFT 20 MC Professional Blowtorch - Silver, Black & Red | Free Delivery | Currys

Fine with heat shrink as long as you turn the flame down low, burnt a few puddings with it as well :frown2:

Thanks Midwest but that looks eactly the same as my present heatgun (see pic above) which I'm not too keen on. It shrinks it very quickly but after a few seconds envelopes it in flame (even on low setting) so I would like something less powerful.

Last edited:
I am looking for the best way to shrink heatshrink (cordless)?

I have used the Iroda micro-therm which was awful so I bought a heat gun to use instead, see pic below. However, I find it too much for heatshrink and after a few seconds (even on low setting) a flame envelopes the heatshrink, although this doesn't damage the heatshrink I would like more control.

View attachment 32120

I notice a gas soldering iron is mentioned and this is what I am erring towards, is this effective? Does it take ages or is it fairly swift? Any other suggestions, flameless heat gun?

This (below) was mentioned by Lee in a thread but looks as though it takes ages, anyone with first hand experience?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-787...dp/B000ELJ0EC?ie=UTF8&ref_=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1

Cheers.
If you have the flame that high, its gonna melt the copper cable, let alone the heat shrink :cool3:

i used to get the ex-wife to breathe on it, but then she got a new job in cardiff, as a model for the welsh flag

Last edited:
Yes , Portasol gas iron will do that too. Plus you have the advantage of a versatile Iron.

Attachments

• portasol-superpro125-kit-lg.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 94
Google pencil torch or windproof lighter. They're less heat output than the blowtorch in your opening post, I also find the chef's blowtorches to be too hot unless you're using it on big diameters like 50mm and over.

I usually use a miniature propane torch which is about the size of a largish cigarette lighter, something like this images.jpeg.

You can actually use one of those windproof lighters for the smaller heatshrink sizes.

7_.jpg

Last edited:
With the gas torch generally they are very limited on flame / heat adjustment
it's easy to burn the heat shrink if you you don't move the flame about,
I tend to keep it moving but aim off to the side of the heatshrink, but a heat gun will do exactly the same on a high setting,
Using low setting can take a bit more time
Personally I prefer the small creme brulee type

I've also just bought a small cigar lighter in china which you can angle the head it's all made of metal and holds a lot more gas than the plastic version I have also has a cap on a chain which is a bit of a nuisance but when fitted the gas cannot be ignited so I'll keep it attached just for the safety aspect

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Reply to Gas soldering iron for heatshrink? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock