Discuss Getting Back In The Game. Advice Needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently returned to sparking after a 7 year hiatus (uni and some other stuff), and I'm looking for some advice on how to best get back up to speed. I got my C&G Electrical Installation Theory & Practice certs in 2003 and completed my apprenticeship in 2004, and haven'd done any (electrical) courses since. I know that I need to do the 17th ed, but is there any other courses I should look into, particularly ones that would be would be good refresher courses? I currently don't know any other electricians so don't really have a network to get this advice from and it's a bit frustrating.

So yeah, any advice?

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

You will definitely need to get well acquainted with the 17th edition BS7617 Amendment 3 and in general would not be considered to be up to date without a course confirming that you have got this knowledge.

As you have already completed your training and apprenticeship then following courses would be a matter of continuous professional development and would generally be dependent on the type of work you would be doing.

Most courses are aimed at specific areas and so would not be very useful as refreshers but I think so long as you had a decent course for the BS7671 then this would reinstill some of the basics.

I would also see if you could get some basic work to start with to get your hand back in if you have not done any electrical work in the intervening time.

If you know what work you are aiming at then there will probably be relevant courses available, for general installation you could consider the C&G 2394/5 as a level of progress and this would also provide a more detailed reminder of inspection and testing and paperwork.

Thanks Richard.

I'll be doing domestic as that's what I did for the entirety of my apprenticeship and where most of my experience is, although I'm interested in giving film set electrics a go. Work wise I've been sticking to fittings and the like, and turning down rewires etc. as I'm not 100% confident on doing them, plus I'm not with a scheme yet so I can't sign them off anyway. I'll look into the 2394/5 as I would definitely like to be confident with testing again.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to Getting Back In The Game. Advice Needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock