Discuss Go on Laugh I don't care in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All as per the title, I would like to write a Thesis on or about the onset of short, fast track "How to be an Electrician" courses.
I'm not sure as to how it all started, I believe that some important MP or similar's relations got injured whilst working at home, which prompted an investigation, and wholesale changes in who or what type of persons would be allowed to carry out electrical work in the home, resulting in all these knee jerk reactions, grateful for some background information.

Last edited:
Hi All as per the title, I would like to write a Thesis on or about the onset of short, fast track "How to be an Electrician" courses.
I'm not sure as to how it all started, I believe that some important MP or similar's relations got injured whilst working at home, which prompted an investigation, and wholesale changes in who or what type of persons would be allowed to carry out electrical work in the home, resulting in all these knee jerk reactions, grateful for some background information.

This urban legend is based on some facts because Mary Wherry, the Daughter of MP Jenny Tonge was tragically killed when she was electrocuted in her own home.

The circumstances of her death were a direct result of shoddy DIY workmanship and bad luck. A new kitchen had been fitted in her home back in 1999. 2 years later her husband had fitted a drainer below the extractor fan.

A cable connected to the fan had been fitted at a 5 degree angle meaning it veered into an area he did not expect it to be. When he screwed the drainer into the wall the screw was left almost touching the wire. As the drainer moved slightly over the years it finally came into contact with the wire electrifying it.

This in itself would not usually result in a fatal shock, however Mrs Wherry's shock proved fatal because her leg was touching a metal-fronted dishwasher door, completing the circuit.

Last edited:
from the article:
The electric cable, which led from a fuse box to the extractor fan hood above the cooker, was not insulated and was only 10mm deep in the wall instead of the recommended 50mm.

with "experts" like that condemming somebody's work, it's not surprising we have these under-qualified, under -experienced short course bods. let loose.

RIP Mary .

I've modified a joke
(to hopefully move on from -Not a nice way to go-)
___
To Err takes one human ,
To foul things up completely takes a ? :-
a) Computer
b) Committee

(Confusion is my middle name this week)

RIP Mary .

I've modified a joke
(to hopefully move on from -Not a nice way to go-)
___
To Err takes one human ,
To foul things up completely takes a ? :-
a) Computer
b) Committee

(Confusion is my middle name this week)
a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

I remember a spice rack - I'm imagining it screwed to the wall ,maybe in a Safe Zone or not !
(This info was from the internet -So may be untrustworthy ).
RCDs / RCBOs are now more affordable , so encouragement to use them makes sense !
This urban legend is based on some facts because Mary Wherry, the Daughter of MP Jenny Tonge was tragically killed when she was electrocuted in her own home.

The circumstances of her death were a direct result of shoddy DIY workmanship and bad luck. A new kitchen had been fitted in her home back in 1999. 2 years later her husband had fitted a drainer below the extractor fan.

A cable connected to the fan had been fitted at a 5 degree angle meaning it veered into an area he did not expect it to be. When he screwed the drainer into the wall the screw was left almost touching the wire. As the drainer moved slightly over the years it finally came into contact with the wire electrifying it.

This in itself would not usually result in a fatal shock, however Mrs Wherry's shock proved fatal because her leg was touching a metal-fronted dishwasher door, completing the circuit.
Thanks Mate appreciated.
from the article:
The electric cable, which led from a fuse box to the extractor fan hood above the cooker, was not insulated and was only 10mm deep in the wall instead of the recommended 50mm.

with "experts" like that condemming somebody's work, it's not surprising we have these under-qualified, under -experienced short course bods. let loose.
Never seen that Tel so much expensive Education and nil common sense eh?? what Moron wrote that Gem? Probably done on the cheap to save the MP spending all the hard earned attendance allowance, but to add a sorry state of affairs, RIP Mary.

Just on a general point on fast track courses, would it be feasible to say there is a direct link between these courses and the deminishing standards and lower rates of pay? Are they proportional to each other?

Is that what the article actually said? “.... was not insulated....”??

So as long as all our cables are insulated, we’re ok? Great. :cool:

Just on a general point on fast track courses, would it be feasible to say there is a direct link between these courses and the deminishing standards and lower rates of pay? Are they proportional to each other?
Good question Mate and a hard one to answer, of course you will always have the exception, there will always be some very good fast track people that are the exception to the rule, some Lads and Lasses on here have taken the fast track route, and are very exceptional trades persons, then again you will get those that think it's an easy route to making money, I have often said I don't like it, but it's the way things are done these days so I'll have to accept it, for some of us older people it can be a bit pf a bummer seeing as we had to go the Apprentice route, but it's the new way so better stop moaning about it, maybe your thoughts have some bearing on what you are in about, not sure just glad I'm not in the Rat race anymore

Still tricky ,are non electricians destined to be more poor now ,and require a cheaper bulk fix ,watered down alternative .
(as for not insulated - I read abraded its way through--Press re-write)

Last edited:
I think the problem is the filtering process between a decent Sparks and a poor Sparks or electricians mate/improver.

I think there should be a difinative difference between a Electrical Trainee electrician and a apprenticeship electrician. The levels of education and exposure is vastly different.

I'm hoping that's why there is a new AM2s. You can only take the AM2s if you are on an apprenticeship and have met the requirements.

Anyone can take an AM2.

When I did my Apprenticeship you had to complete your 2360 pt1 and pt2 /NVQ3 before you could take your 2391 or 2400..

I don't mind the short courses too much, they serve as an indroduction into the industry. but these nothing to stop you taking a short course then taking your 2391 and then 2360 ( if you wish) trouble these people are missing out on all that important information thats taught in the NVQ L3

Honestly, this wouldn't happen in Ireland

We bury conduit in the wall.

When I did my Apprenticeship you had to complete your 2360 pt1 and pt2 /NVQ3 before you could take your 2391 or 2400..

I don't mind the short courses too much, they serve as an indroduction into the industry. but these nothing to stop you taking a short course then taking your 2391 and then 2360 ( if you wish) trouble these people are missing out on all that important information thats taught in the NVQ L3

Yes. So in reality within 1 year you can be seen as a qualified electrician with 2391, 2360.

Most courses now also just want you to pass and turn a blind eye or help immensely to pull you through.

Iv done the 2391 and personally seen this. The title was fantastic but I don't believe half of the students who passed really knew what they were doing, they were dragged over the finishing line so to speak

It is one of those urban myths, if you look at the timeline of events;

It is one of those urban myths, if you look at the timeline of events;

Thank you Midwest

Years back, certainly when I started as a lad, being an electrician was a privileged trade in that they were respected all by other trades because to become an "electrician" back then meant you had to have a good aptitude, you had a brain and you were prepared to study and learn for a long period of time working as a mate/apprentice until you had enough experience & qualifications to be regarded as an "electrician".
I know folk who have completed the short courses and are great electricians, but in general I'm not sure whether the introduction of the "fast track" approach has diminished the integrity of being an electrician somewhat?

The fast track approach is common throughout these days. there are fast track courses for pretty much anything. A friend of mine works for the NHS, she is director of something or another where she is responsible for the management of the recruitment of surgeons, doctors and consultants. She is being put under pressure to recruit "fast track" qualified medical staff, mainly because they are cheaper! she says it can be quite worrying as some of these "medical professionals" have almost no experience and are dealing with life and death situations.

Fast Track is newspeak for Cheap and Nasty / Quick and dirty. Call it what it is, you still get what you pay for.

I think if they are used a springboard to further training then it's ok. I technically did a level 2 fast track course but then enrolled onto a level 3 apprenticeship on the back of it.

Some folks just get the level 2/3 fast track and go out and start installing.

Reply to Go on Laugh I don't care in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock