Discuss good ceiling light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What are you loking for? Flush bowl, pendant drop, chain drop, 3 arm, 5 arm, spotlight, white, brass, brushed chrome, chrome. Have you got a link to the ones you liked? I might be able to find something similar.

if you could, that would be great. i've got quite low ceilings and i'm tall so anything that fits flush to the ceiling would be ideal, not looking for anything too fancy, in general i'm not that fussed about how it looks!

what am i looking for in the description that will let me know it's not going to flicker upon startup?

TBH I wouldn't be worried what the hell they do on startup. As long as after that second or so they give a comfortable, warm light and are long life/low energy. 28W 2D or 2x cfl lamps would be my choice in a flush fitting. Endon have a large range of this type of light.

cfls are horrible things, the best for room lighting is a full size fluorescent light (3-6ft), you can get them in cool or warm white, they don't cast shadows and it's as bright as day, don't buy those poncy decorative fittings, they burn out all the time and are about as bright as a match.

He wants a fitting for his house, most likely his living room. Don't you think a 6ft fluorescent fitting would look sh*t?

He wants a fitting for his house, most likely his living room. Don't you think a 6ft fluorescent fitting would look sh*t?

a slimline t5 tube that is flush to the ceiling shouldn't be any more noticeable than any other type of light fitting.

I use CFL a lot but there is a trick to putting them in ? Let me explain customer says they are too dull so I go and put one in and they say great how did you do it well you need to size up ? Let me explain a 60 watt lamp = a 11watt CFL well no actually it = 50 watts hence why its too dull. So I fit a 15watt CFL meant to = 75 watts but more like 65 watts plus I advise that incandescent lamps just expire but CFL fade so when you see it going black around the base start to think about changing it.

I use CFL a lot but there is a trick to putting them in ? Let me explain customer says they are too dull so I go and put one in and they say great how did you do it well you need to size up ? Let me explain a 60 watt lamp = a 11watt CFL well no actually it = 50 watts hence why its too dull. So I fit a 15watt CFL meant to = 75 watts but more like 65 watts plus I advise that incandescent lamps just expire but CFL fade so when you see it going black around the base start to think about changing it.

Bang on, I always fit the brightest one I can get to fit. (mostly 20w) Stops the moaning straight off. For anyone who struggles with their eyesight, I stock a 30w daylight recommended by the RNIB. Try saying that isn't bright enough. (Although it's a large lamp)

Bang on, I always fit the brightest one I can get to fit. (mostly 20w) Stops the moaning straight off. For anyone who struggles with their eyesight, I stock a 30w daylight recommended by the RNIB. Try saying that isn't bright enough. (Although it's a large lamp)

I have found that the brightest bulb I can find (from normal shops) is a 20w spiral cfl, it's much brighter than a 100w incandescent although it takes a little while to come on.

That is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen, quite a claim considering I've been to Sunderland:)
i think he must be a star wars fan or had an arguement with his missus and bought them out of spite!
or a car boot sale fan, its amazing what junk my father picks up

i think he must be a star wars fan or had an arguement with his missus and bought them out of spite!
or a car boot sale fan, its amazing what junk my father picks up
Oh come on, no one would buy that. I'd be annoyed if I found it mate.
Just goes to prove that the only taste some people have is in their mouths:)

i was trying to think of a location i would fit that type of light.
my missus might want it in her bedroom so she could blame the lack of movement on stroboscopic effect?

ripped out a similar light fitting from a kitchen today, used the lamp holder to fix my old light and fitted it just now! i will get round to fitting new ones soon....

That is possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen, quite a claim considering I've been to Sunderland:)

guess I'll stick to designing workshops then, and other utilitarian things, this was just something I had found amongst all the weird "futuristic" design from the 60's. this has nothing to do with star wars however. maybe I should never be aloud near a furniture shop.

You designed that Nathan? Sorry if I offended you mate but even you have to admit it's bloody grotesque:)
"maybe I should never be aloud near a furniture shop." I'm sure, like me and most of the others, you have a partner to keep you right. I'll freely admit there'd be some bad decisions made if she ever let me in a furniture shop on my own

Reply to good ceiling light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock