Discuss good PC software for our type of accounting? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Hi all! :D

what program do you all use for your accounting? ive always used excel and just made my own spread sheets but i was wondering if there is a better type of program thats easier keep track of each individual client.

hey matey,
i started using Sage accounts but after 2 weeks i got rid of it and went back to excel for payments etc and word for invoices. i found Sage to complicated and too time hungry, its like my accountant said "why do you need a program like that?, you get paid for work, you buy materials etc and produce invoices"
i just use excel and word now, and like you have them setup nicely, you can make them work as good as any accounting program if you know all the ins n outs of these 2 programs.

rich

I use Sage but my missus is an accountant and it makes year end very easy indeed.

hey matey,
i started using Sage accounts but after 2 weeks i got rid of it and went back to excel for payments etc and word for invoices. i found Sage to complicated and too time hungry, its like my accountant said "why do you need a program like that?, you get paid for work, you buy materials etc and produce invoices"
i just use excel and word now, and like you have them setup nicely, you can make them work as good as any accounting program if you know all the ins n outs of these 2 programs.

rich

cheers mate, i think i will stick to excel!

I use Sage but my missus is an accountant and it makes year end very easy indeed.

Cheat! lol

ive got sage and had a play about with it, it all seems good but i cant seem to work out how to show discounts!

Last edited by a moderator:
dont bother with it mate, you'll come a croper if you enter some information wrong and have to go through various stages just to make it balance, or if you do insist on using then maybe do a course on how to use cos its really for big time companies like marks and spencers!
end at day you want your accountant to work for his/her 300+ year end stuff. it is personal preference and i thought that i could get on with sage, been quite computer literate (started building pc's about 10 years ago).

dont bother with it mate, you'll come a croper if you enter some information wrong and have to go through various stages just to make it balance, or if you do insist on using then maybe do a course on how to use cos its really for big time companies like marks and spencers!
end at day you want your accountant to work for his/her 300+ year end stuff. it is personal preference and i thought that i could get on with sage, been quite computer literate (started building pc's about 10 years ago).

totally agree! I've been playing around with it tonight and its just too easy to get something wrong! if i was trying to use it for real i think i would just get in big trouble! I've built a couple of pc's including one for the car so i'm not totally PC illiterate either and its just too hard! lol

im only going to do some pj's while im in full time employment so its not like i need anything big, i just thought it would make it easier but it so doesn't! im just gonna get a personalised duplicate book (with logo etc) and then just input the data into a spreadsheet every now and then to keep track!

yeah there are different versions of sage, granted. i had sage financial controller and also the basic "instant" however its still an over complicated program, that has stock control etc, its not really a pick up and go type program. No dissrespect to you Cirrus but your misses is an accountant and has probably done the proper sage courses as well.
yeah if you can get your head round it and know what to do if you input some information wrongly, then it is no doubt a brilliant program but in most cases i think its way to advanced for a one man band.
The programs that luke has mentioned are more suitable without a doubt, ive heard good things quickbooks and cashflow. let us know if you go for one of the above and how it is to use if you do, it would be nice to get some graphs and pie charts running without needing a degree! lol

rich

Sage is written for accounts to use doesn't really matter how PC literate you are. Sage is very good if you know how to use it but the learning curve is steep and will take time away from earning money to put into it

exactamondo, you can know all the ins and outs of various windows programs but like you say sage is not user friendly without having at least done a course of some description on it.

rich

Reply to good PC software for our type of accounting? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock