Discuss Good quality IP cameras and NVR in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a couple of jobs to price up, for mates really. I have some experience with CCTV, but I don’t do it regularly.

Looking at Hikvision, IP, 4 cameras, 4Tb HDD in NVR. Probably 8MP turret cams.

Would be willing to listen to advice on the above!

Where is the best place to source this sort of kit from. Seems like I may to sign up for a trade account somewhere to get prices as the above gear seems pretty much trade only?

System Q are easy to deal with.
Google them.

I tend to use Pyronix Dome cameras with the HikVision NVRs. No complaints, free smartphone app for remote access. No complaints from clients.

NVRs provide power over ethernet, so single Cat5e cable to each camera and you're away. I use the mounting bases to contain the connections.

slightly off track, but my knowledge of CCTV systems is a few years behind. i had to google IP. not physically seen job yet but customer has a swann system and is unhappy with the definition/quality. a quick google search suggests that TVI cameras (1080p) may be a cost effective solution, re-using existing cables.but my query is then do i need to replace the dvr with a nvr, or can it be re-used. (sorry for the thread hijack).

slightly off track, but my knowledge of CCTV systems is a few years behind. i had to google IP. not physically seen job yet but customer has a swann system and is unhappy with the definition/quality. a quick google search suggests that TVI cameras (1080p) may be a cost effective solution, re-using existing cables.but my query is then do i need to replace the dvr with a nvr, or can it be re-used. (sorry for the thread hijack).
How old is the Swann system as the DVR and it's firmware may be outdated and not worth reusing. What you replace it with would depend on whether you reuse the existing wiring or replace it with cat 5 and use an NVR

Yes always use PoE (power over Ethernet) as it is one network cable per camera for data and power. If the recorder lacks ports you can add a cheap-ish PoE switch for more, but allow for max capacity in recording,etc.

Also remember to get outdoor rated cable as needed, or use some trunking, plastic conduit, etc.

How old is the Swann system as the DVR and it's firmware may be outdated and not worth reusing. What you replace it with would depend on whether you reuse the existing wiring or replace it with cat 5 and use an NVR
mot sureof age as yet. basically as i understand it, customer wants better definition (e.g. read car number plates), be able to record , is not concerned about remote monitoring on mobile. re-using existing cables would save time,cost, and decoration issues.

mot sureof age as yet. basically as i understand it, customer wants better definition (e.g. read car number plates), be able to record , is not concerned about remote monitoring on mobile. re-using existing cables would save time,cost, and decoration issues.
Does the customers budget fit their expectations it can be a tall order to get a system that you can reliably read car number plates

Some offer ANPR for that, not ever seen it in action to know how well it works though.

I'm in the process of pricing up an NVR system install... client has already bought the Recorder and cameras. CCTV is not my usual game... so need I have a few questions;

1. As some of the cameras will be some distance away from the recorder... is there a max distance for PoE voltage drops ?
2. If distance is an issue... can I use mid-way PoE injectors ?
3. The client seems to want the recorder to be mounted externally to the office (the office is a portacabin in a large warehouse) with a single cable coming into the office. Is this a simple case of installing a PoE hub ?

I helped my mate set his one up earlier in the year and I’d say if you’re pricing this and it’s not your usual game and you’re not ‘techie’ leave well alone.

We are both only ok with tech, but it took a good few hours to get it set up and working properly. Port forwarding, updating firmware and getting the settings all correct wasn’t idiot proof. I didn’t mind as he’s a mate and he wasn’t expecting me to do it all for him. I probably wouldn’t bother installing for someone else though. I’m too slow with that kind of stuff.

We had the physical job done in half the time it took to set the damn thing up!!

I'm in the process of pricing up an NVR system install... client has already bought the Recorder and cameras. CCTV is not my usual game... so need I have a few questions;

1. As some of the cameras will be some distance away from the recorder... is there a max distance for PoE voltage drops ?
2. If distance is an issue... can I use mid-way PoE injectors ?
3. The client seems to want the recorder to be mounted externally to the office (the office is a portacabin in a large warehouse) with a single cable coming into the office. Is this a simple case of installing a PoE hub ?
Could yo be a bit more specific as to what you describe as "some distance away"

Could yo be a bit more specific as to what you describe as "some distance away"
I need to go back to create an accurate drawing and work out the cable routings really (site was mega busy when I was there before)... but it could be in excess of 100m. The recorder manual says that it supports up to 100m via Cat6, but the client has already bought loads of Cat5e. I'm thinking maybe I'll be on the cusp for the furthest camera.

Reply to Good quality IP cameras and NVR in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock