Discuss Got a call today for a fuseboard that was arcing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Came in to the property to hear a loud buzzing, dawned my face sheild and gloves and went straight for the main fuse (pulled),
After taking to the customer he said , the dno was out 30 mins ago stuck a label on the board saying do not use , forgot to actually isolate the board, went away then called 10 mins later asking the customer to turn off the mains switch (which was arcing)
Shoking Scottish power response Got a call today for a fuseboard that was arcing 20191128_110103 - EletriciansForums.net

I'm definitely not Scottish Power's biggest fan,but they may argue,that particular fault,is not their responsibility.

Generally,they ask or make suggestions,on matters they do not have full authority on,but their own stuff - they just act.

Maybe they suggested initially,to shut everything off,and the customer declined? ...seen that before...

....And to reiterate my contempt,for Scottish Power (the entity,NOT the individuals),i spoke to them yesterday morning,regarding their shambles of a meter reading history,and the lovely Scottish lady,asked me if i would consider a Smart meter.....

I told her,i would consider gender reassignment surgery,first.....she said "Oh....i understand,sir...." o_O

I'm definitely not Scottish Power's biggest fan,but they may argue,that particular fault,is not their responsibility.

Generally,they ask or make suggestions,on matters they do not have full authority on,but their own stuff - they just act.

Maybe they suggested initially,to shut everything off,and the customer declined? ...seen that before...

....And to reiterate my contempt,for Scottish Power (the entity,NOT the individuals),i spoke to them yesterday morning,regarding their shambles of a meter reading history,and the lovely Scottish lady,asked me if i would consider a Smart meter.....

I told her,i would consider gender reassignment surgery,first.....she said "Oh....i understand,sir...." o_O
yet my exprience of scottish power (sp energy) is all positive. 2 emergency calls after hours attended and fixed rapidly and a pme conversion made within 4 hours of phoning.

That is a pity, because I wanted one of those units ;). AFAIK it is a near-copy of the GEC one, by Prentice of Leeds. If you do get to replace it, if it looks intact from the outside and is generally complete with its fuses etc, I would pay you to post it to us for the museum.

Unless you know of better examples, of course. We've got the standalone rotary isolator by GEC and a very scrappy CU with the same as its main switch. Like a lot of 50s & early 60s stuff such as the interesting prewired system-build CU by Falk Stadelmann that surfaced in a recent thread, these are proving a bit difficult to pin down.

I marvel

https://www.google.com/search?q=mar....69i57j0l7.10647j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

at LN's fathomless knowledge of and insatiable interest in electrical wiring, accessories, switchgear, electro-mechanical equipment.......

I realise my mesmorisation as a young lad with MK, BILL, Wylex and Reyrolle was a limited diet compared with his.... :) ..which is what I saw in the chemical factory my dad worked in.

Last edited:
I am putting a museum together so it's sort-of my job to be interested. But it is a chicken-and-egg situation though. I am more interested in the electromechanical action of pipe organs than in kettles and hairdryers, but I know which are more of a hit with the visitng public.

Anyway, yes, arcing pressed metal gear of the 1950s. It was a time of brave innovation in both architecture and building services. Out with the old DC-compatible iron-and-porcelain stalwarts that had given decades of service and in with lightweight, micro-break, AC-only stuff like this. One of my favourite decades in switchgear history.

Reply to Got a call today for a fuseboard that was arcing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock