Discuss Greetings and Salutations - DC Designer wants to learn electrics in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NetMark

DIY
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. How is everyone

I'm new to the world of electrical installations but do have a little hands on experience requiring socket outlets and adding spurs. I am keen to learn more and I am looking into gaining some form of electrical installation certification (actively looking for advice on this subject) so that I can undertake notifiable work. I have a large outdoor garden project underway and Ideally I would like to fit my own outdoor lighting and add a circuit to the outbuilding in time.

In my day job I am a Computer Network Data Centre Designer so I am technically minded for picking up electrical theory.

youmay find tha one of the short intensive course as provised by Tradeskills4u and XS to qualify as a domestic installer would suit you. you would not be a qualified sparks ( that takes 3-4- years) but it would allow you to join niciec for domestic/notifiable works.

Bear in mind you will need an MFT and and an understanding of how to conduct the various tests. There are some good books available as well as YouTube videos.

Excellent idea to acquire knowledge and skills and test equipment, and as long as a particular formal qualification doesn't cost too much, go for it.

But it makes no sense whatsoever to register with a competent person scheme so that you can carry out notifiable work without paying Building Control.

Thanks for the replies.

My intention was to do the City and Guilds 2365 level 2 course at college which would take a year then maybe move onto the level 3 course. I've got the money for the courses so cost not an issue.

I've already started reading through the City and guilds electrical installations textbooks.

youmay find tha one of the short intensive course as provised by Tradeskills4u and XS to qualify as a domestic installer would suit you. you would not be a qualified sparks ( that takes 3-4- years) but it would allow you to join niciec for domestic/notifiable works.
I did look at Trade Skills 4 U but it seemed a bit crammed and I can do the step 2 (2365 level 2) at College on an evening over the span of a year and gain hands on so thought that would be a better option.

I did look at Trade Skills 4 U but it seemed a bit crammed and I can do the step 2 (2365 level 2) at College on an evening over the span of a year and gain hands on so thought that would be a better option.
then another year for level 3.

But it makes no sense whatsoever to register with a competent person scheme so that you can carry out notifiable work without paying Building Control.
Hi Soi,
Could you explain a little bit further the relationship between Part P schemes and building control?
Additionally, could a formally qualified person pay building control themselves to do an inspection who isn't registered on a part P scheme?

Hi Soi,
Could you explain a little bit further the relationship between Part P schemes and building control?
Strictly speaking "Part P" is the part of the Building Regulations which lays down standards for electrical work, just like Part A has the structural requirements, Part B deals with fire safety, and so on.

But it's come to be used to mean the things to do with some work being notifiable, which is a pity, because it obscures the fact that Part P applies to non-notifiable work, as well as notifiable. But we are where we are.

Notifiable work requires you to apply for Building Regs approval before you start work, just like you do with, e.g., structural work. And pay their fee.

Or you can engage the services of a third-party certifier, similar to using a private building inspector.

Or you can be a member of a Competent Person scheme and then, via your scheme, you notify the work after the event, self-certifying that you complied with the Building Regs, and paying a pretty nominal fee.

But if you're a "DIYer" (no matter how qualified) looking to avoid the fee for doing notifiable work, the cost of joining a scheme is no way justified by the savings.

Additionally, could a formally qualified person pay building control themselves to do an inspection who isn't registered on a part P scheme?
Yes - in theory that's the way it works when anybody who isn't registered notifies them. In practice though most councils don't have and don't want to get the skills needed to do inspections - basically they never wanted anything to do with it - and they either sub it out to a tame electrician (and bill you on top of their fee), or get you to arrange for an electrician to do an inspection, and pay him directly (obviously as well as paying their fee).

Sometimes, if the person who does the work is qualified they will accept their EIC as proof of compliance with Part P, and, for their fee, issue the Building Regulations completion certificate.

So you pay them, or you pay them and an electrician. But unless repeatedly rewiring or changing your CU or putting in new circuits is a hobby, it isn't worth paying scheme membership fees.

A lot of people who are competent to do their own electrical work and sign EICs just get on with it, but we cannot condone law-breaking.... ?

Reply to Greetings and Salutations - DC Designer wants to learn electrics in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net