Discuss Guidance on new MFT's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

alban moffitt

Regular EF Member
Hi everyone,
am looking to buy a mft for the first time so that i can start signing of work myself.
not really sure which make/models to be looking at. when it says '18th edtion' in the description does this mean it completes all tests stated in the regs or what?
have seen some of the megger ones, which appear quite smart but would appreciate some advice on getting one.
thanks in advance

Barnaby Stedman

Regular EF Member
Hello alban

I really like the di-log dl9110 multifunction tester - a great piece of kit - have had one for years and has always done a good job.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
You could go for a banana yellow one ,that came in banana box ,or go for a megger that does not confuse your brain or go with a MFT that will give you a bigger headache.

Marti

Electrician's Arms
Avoid anything kewtech wild fluctuations on readings on all of our ones when it’s cold
That's a shame as, outside of the big two (Megger & Fluke) these were the only ones I thought looked professional.

A lot of folk seem to stick with whatever they used at college. Personally, I went to Electrician's Show at Ally Pally had got hands on (oooh err...) with all the kit. For me, Megger was a clear winner for simplicity and clarity with all the functions but in a truly rubbish case. I've seen more than one Megger in a Fluke carry case.

Choose carefully on function and ease of use. It's a lot of money and the difference between prices isn't worth struggling in dark under-stair cupboard.

Marti

Electrician's Arms
Oh, and there is always Metrel but they seem to disable functions in software and leave the menu items in! Also, they use their own design of lead which some people like.

That's another name that was missing from this years show. A pretty pathetic attempt this year despite trying to combine the plumber's show.

ferg

Electrician's Arms
Fluke for me.

A habit for many years now.

Megger would be my second choice but really it depends on which you prefer personally.

I don't imagine there is much between the 2 brands quality wise.

Phil Thompson

Let us light up your life!
Electrician's Arms
Prices on the Megger have really jumped up, looking on site sponsor website last night. Was thinking on upgrading to something fancier. But it definitely won’t be for a while lol

Marti

Electrician's Arms
Avoid anything kewtech wild fluctuations on readings on all of our ones when it’s cold
Interestingly, and prompted by Yozza's comment, I ran my Megger across a Cal-Card and a known RCD. The RCD test is similar but the IR and Continuity have both shifted, possibly due to the weather. Not a problem as long as you test regularly and are aware I guess.

Electrician Talk