Discuss Guidance on new MFT's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
am looking to buy a mft for the first time so that i can start signing of work myself.
not really sure which make/models to be looking at. when it says '18th edtion' in the description does this mean it completes all tests stated in the regs or what?
have seen some of the megger ones, which appear quite smart but would appreciate some advice on getting one.
thanks in advance

You could go for a banana yellow one ,that came in banana box ,or go for a megger that does not confuse your brain or go with a MFT that will give you a bigger headache.

Avoid anything kewtech wild fluctuations on readings on all of our ones when it’s cold
That's a shame as, outside of the big two (Megger & Fluke) these were the only ones I thought looked professional.

A lot of folk seem to stick with whatever they used at college. Personally, I went to Electrician's Show at Ally Pally had got hands on (oooh err...) with all the kit. For me, Megger was a clear winner for simplicity and clarity with all the functions but in a truly rubbish case. I've seen more than one Megger in a Fluke carry case.

Choose carefully on function and ease of use. It's a lot of money and the difference between prices isn't worth struggling in dark under-stair cupboard.

Oh, and there is always Metrel but they seem to disable functions in software and leave the menu items in! Also, they use their own design of lead which some people like.

That's another name that was missing from this years show. A pretty pathetic attempt this year despite trying to combine the plumber's show.

Fluke for me.

A habit for many years now.

Megger would be my second choice but really it depends on which you prefer personally.

I don't imagine there is much between the 2 brands quality wise.

Prices on the Megger have really jumped up, looking on site sponsor website last night. Was thinking on upgrading to something fancier. But it definitely won’t be for a while lol

Avoid anything kewtech wild fluctuations on readings on all of our ones when it’s cold
Interestingly, and prompted by Yozza's comment, I ran my Megger across a Cal-Card and a known RCD. The RCD test is similar but the IR and Continuity have both shifted, possibly due to the weather. Not a problem as long as you test regularly and are aware I guess.

Reply to Guidance on new MFT's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock