Discuss Heated towel rail & zones in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJSTJS

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, a friend has asked about fitting an electrically heated towel rail in their bathroom. The location is on the wall opposite the bath in a narrow bathroom. There is an existing spur available high up on the wall that used to power a heater that has since been removed. This could be extended down and along to the rail position via trunking in the wall. Ideally the rail needs a switch for daily operation.

I've had a look at the zone requirements. The wall it would be fitted to is 800 mm from the nearest edge of the bath and so is outside zone 2 and not part of any zone.
This guide here says that a switched spur can be fitted outside of zone 2. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Firstlight/Zones.pdf
The existing spur is part of the ring main for sockets in the flat and protected with a modern RCD breaker.

I know that traditionalists don't like the idea of a wall switch in a bathroom. I don't feel too happy with it being close to a bath in case someone tries to reach it from within the bath or it gets splashed with water from the shower.

Wiring options are limited due to the attic above the flat containing asbestos which makes access difficult.
One option is to fit the switch to the wall but further along the bathroom.
I've had a look and some ceiling pull switches are also suitable for wall mounting, so that could be fitted to the wall.
Are there any high IP rated/waterproof switch options?

TL;DR
Fitting a switched spur in a bathroom, regs versus good practice.
I think I've found a solution. This is IPX4 rated which means it could even be used in zone 2 they claim. Kudox Electronic Heating Element Controller - https://www.screwflix..com/p/kudox-electronic-heating-element-controller/64054#product_additional_details_container

It's going to be a right pain switching the towel radiator on and off every single time you want to use it. I always fit a timer (standard analog immersion timer) outside the bathroom somewhere. You could then eithre fit a switched FCU alongside it, or an unswitched FCU by the towel rail. The timer could be inside a closet in the bathroom, or even in the loft (you tend to just set a timer and leave it alone).

If none of those options work, you could fit a nicer looking timer just outside of the bathroom, on the wall. It could even be one that incorporates a fuse, meaning you just need a flex outlet plate in the bathroom for the T/R Greenbrook 7 Day Fused Timer Spur 13A Resistive 6A Inductive - https://www.toolstation.com/greenbrook-7-day-fused-timer-spur/p64766?store=PF&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=565612566369&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlNzxgFMGzyiFnVp5C-Kw4rgxGuYta04_0Uza4LzEpCNmoAOSb3zt8HxoCvq4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply to Heated towel rail & zones in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock