Discuss Height of consumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Charlie_

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always install my consumer units between 450 and 1200, sometimes at 1400..
Am I right in thinking that CUs come under part M?

Extensions and rewires not covered by part M?

Anybody still installing them up at ceiling height?

On refurbs I normally get the customer to decide ......... but certainly not at Part M heights ............ they are simply daft

new installation, you and the client have choices. on a replacement CU, you need to fit it wherever you can considering the existing supply and final circuits.

Is it even in part M because I can’t see it?
It’s mentioned in part P as a guidance for the height of a CU but I don’t believe it’s actually a building regulation unless someone can show me different?
We are required tho on new builds to mount the CU with the mcbs at between 1350-1450 FFL.

Height of consumer units E7895044-0EEB-43B8-A32B-1408D91D0E40 - EletriciansForums.net
Is it even in part M because I can’t see it?
It’s mentioned in part P as a guidance for the height of a CU but I don’t believe it’s actually a building regulation unless someone can show me different?
We are required tho on new builds to mount the CU with the mcbs at between 1350-1450 FFL.

I believe the idea with not installing lower than 1350mm is to prevent small inquisitive children from getting access to it and playing with the switches. I’ve read that somewhere.

I think the 1350 is a good height if it can be achieved easily enough.

Very high consumer units are not ideal. Earlier this year I had a concerned daughter call me because her rather petite and elderly mother was climbing stepladders to keep resetting a breaker for a faulty water heater. Not good.

Height of consumer units 3C34AFA2-3A77-4154-B632-270E9F6487FA - EletriciansForums.net I’ve spoke to my LABC officer regarding this on refurbs/rewires and his stance is that when rewiring you should not install accessories at a height that is worse than compliance, than it was before you started. For example say the existing sockets are mounted at 300 then you install them at a height off between 300 and 1200. So you wouldn’t then go and install them at 250 as then they would be installed at a height that is worse than compliance, than before you started.

Thanks for the responses.,
Had a few occasions lately where the builder grumbled at the height of 1400.
Another new build cu went up high at ceiling height, fortunately building inspector didn’t pick up on it, I thought it was best not to ask him about it.
I think the 45o height would be handy as it can be located in a cupboard

Usually see them at ceiling height over here. Was in 2 today, one built in 2014, one in 2016...both at ceiling height. On large developments as well...

Usually see them at ceiling height over here. Was in 2 today, one built in 2014, one in 2016...both at ceiling height. On large developments as well...

Similar situation over here;
Large development, CUs in hallway above lounge door, looks naf but was probably the best location to facilitate a 2 day 1st fix.

There is a whole new build estate here with them all at ceiling height in the garage.
Another estate a few years ago they are above the basin in the hall toilet.

There is a whole new build estate here with them all at ceiling height in the garage.
Another estate a few years ago they are above the basin in the hall toilet.
seen loads of them. need to stand on the bog to reach. cubicle too small to fit steps in.

Reply to Height of consumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock