Discuss Help ... 2 gang 2 way lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys .. go easy on me .. looking for help on the wiring of this circuit ... I can't for the life of me get the batton in the second room working ... Power is there. .. but possible no Neutral .. .. I've attached a drawing of the circuit .. it's wired in 2 plate ... (Power to the switch) I'm a fully qualified electrician (6 months in) .. so still new .. fire away ..

Attachments

• Help ... 2 gang 2 way lighting 20200711_180934 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200711_180934.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 30
Need to see what you e done inside the switches mate..:
Ive left the job now .. but 1st gang was fine for the spots ... I linked over to second gang for 2 way switch for batton ... But batton will not come on .. power is at the second switch and also at the batton ... I think there's no neutral at the batton ... Hope this makes sense ..

basically run a 3 core between switches, then at any switch, Lin to L1, Lout to L2. as long as the 3 core is same configuration at both switches, it will work. if neutral at switches connect block to Nout.

Ive left the job now .. but 1st gang was fine for the spots ... I linked over to second gang for 2 way switch for batton ... But batton will not come on .. power is at the second switch and also at the batton ... I think there's no neutral at the batton ... Hope this makes sense ..
If you’ve got power, assuming the lamps fine you’ve messed the neutral up somewhere I’d say....did you check to see if you had voltage on the neutral core?

If you’ve got power, assuming the lamps fine you’ve messed the neutral up somewhere I’d say....did you check to see if you had voltage on the neutral core?
I spent the best part of an hour thinking I'd messed up the 2 way switching and called it a day .. come back Monday with a fresh head ... But upon leaving .. I assumed I'd missed a neutral , so no .. didn't check ... Still learning boys .. I'll report back Monday ... Ps... Can I nick a neutral from a nearby spotlight on the same MCB ... I presume this will be fine ..

Why would you need to?...the diagram you’ve drawn looks like you fed the first switch (which you state you have)....you’ll have a neutral there unless I’m missing something here?

Why would you need to?...the diagram you’ve drawn looks like you fed the first switch (which you state you have)....you’ll have a neutral there unless I’m missing something here?
Would I need it to be a 4 core and earth ? To include the neutral .. ? .. as 3 core is ,grey common .. black L1 brown L2 ... Appreciate the advice .. thanks ..

Right with ya now you’re trying to feed the light AND link the switches with same 3&e??.....so no you havnt got a neutral from that point,

Spoiler alert!

Ignoring the downlights... live into common of first 2 way... use brown and black as strippers to second 2 way. Switch wire from C of second 2 way to light.... now all you need a neutral path back from the second switch.... and lucky you have a grey core there!

Reply to Help ... 2 gang 2 way lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock