Discuss Help!!! Can't turn electric off!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Doug81

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the process of changing all my switches and sockets and I'm coming across a few problems, like no earth wire for any of the light fittings. Similarly no earth for some of the upstairs plug sockets but the worst yet is the socket in the hallway (right by the fuse box). It has both new (blue,brown,yellow/green) and old (red,black) wires looped together -not a big issue I hear you say....well it is when the old wiring is live even when the fuse box is switched off!!! How do I go about making it safe???Help!!! Can't turn electric off!!! IMG-20190202-WA0002 - EletriciansForums.net

The red and black there is still live when the fuse board is turned off?
You have a serious problem.

How did you test that? Sore fingers?

Can you post a photo of your meter and fuseboard set up. There might be a clue as to what is wrong.

Can you safely protect those live cables from accidental touching?

How did a socket fit on that box with all that plaster taking up the top right corner?

Anyone in Nottingham up for a late night Saturday night callout?

On a side note, the lack of CPC (earth wire) is worrying on the sockets.
Not so much on the lighting as it was common in older days to not include a cpc in the cables.
It just means you shouldn't use metal switches on a circuit without a cpc

The red and black there is still live when the fuse board is turned off?
You have a serious problem.

How did you test that? Sore fingers?

Can you post a photo of your meter and fuseboard set up. There might be a clue as to what is wrong.

Can you safely protect those live cables from accidental touching?

How did a socket fit on that box with all that plaster taking up the top right corner?

Anyone in Nottingham up for a late night Saturday night callout?
Help!!! Can't turn electric off!!! 20190202_205945 - EletriciansForums.net
Find out where it is fed from and turn it off

Turn off the whole house if you have to.

Don't let anyone near that.

Needs better picture than that Doug - we cant even see the labelling. Which mcb are you switching off when you are as none are off now. Puzzling!

Doug - Are you saying that the red stranded cables are live with the main switch on the far left turned off ? If so I suspect some dodgy goings on within the CU where some idiot may have bodged in a way of bypassing, god knows why though.

Or if you're saying no single MCB isolates the point it's probably cross-connected circuits across two devices, DIY is all well and good but I strongly recommend you get a decent electrician in - urgently. But why on earth did you remove the socket without isolating first ??!!

Needs better picture than that Doug - we cant even see the labelling. Which mcb are you switching off when you are as none are off now. Puzzling!
It's all back on now but I switched the main red one off on the left. What do you need to see in the pic?

Doug - Are you saying that the red stranded cables are live with the main switch on the far left turned off ? If so I suspect some dodgy goings on within the CU where some idiot may have bodged in a way of bypassing, god knows why though.
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying!! Any way of switching it off??

Or if you're saying no single MCB isolates the point it's probably cross-connected circuits across two devices, DIY is all well and good but I strongly recommend you get a decent electrician in - urgently. But why on earth did you remove the socket without isolating first ??!!

Help!!! Can't turn electric off!!! IMG-20190202-WA0003 - EletriciansForums.net

So are you saying you had the main switch (the big red one on the left) switched off yet those wires were still live?
There was never a socket fitted to that backbone, there's too much plaster, there's only one (new) cross head screw holding the back box to the wall also.
The red and black cables look like the outer insulation doesn't enter the back box (which also looks too shiny to be any thing other than new.

What's the large black box on it's side under the meter, is that grey T&E with white tape connected to it?

I suspect we're not getting the full story here.

Reply to Help!!! Can't turn electric off!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock