Discuss Help please - Is this acceptable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently doing a small kitchen. It needs to be wired, however the elctricians can't do it for a while, so what im thinking about doing is chasing out the walls and putting in 25mm round conduit, then plastering over it, so when the electrical work can be done they can just push the cable through the conduit and to the sockets. Is this ok to do? It's only for 4 sockets, as it's a very small kitchen.

Thanks for reading.

There's nothing to stop you from installing the first fix as an unskilled person. (Unskilled as in not an electrician). It might be worth just getting a sketch for a suitable conduit layout from the sparky who's scheduled to do the installation at a later date.

I'd comment that 25mm is maybe quite a deep chase especially if horizontal unless you don't need a plaster finish on top due to being tiled.

Get the electrician in to look at the job,
he can then decide on the routes for the cables,
then you know exactly where to put the cables.

Find another electrician who can do your time scale, or wait for your first choice.

Hi,

I am currently doing a small kitchen. It needs to be wired, however the elctricians can't do it for a while, so what im thinking about doing is chasing out the walls and putting in 25mm round conduit, then plastering over it, so when the electrical work can be done they can just push the cable through the conduit and to the sockets. Is this ok to do? It's only for 4 sockets, as it's a very small kitchen.

Thanks for reading.
In theory yes it's OK, in practice however not really a good idea, or recommendation as you don't know how the Electrician will wire the sockets, plus it will be a right fiddle getting 2.5 cable into a circular conduit post plastering in my opinion.

No problem with this

In fact you could go one step further and run in the cables to the various points and take the legs back to the board

Ready for the sparks to connect up

No problem with this

In fact you could go one step further and run in the cables to the various points and take the legs back to the board

Ready for the sparks to connect up
How will the "Sparks" be able to be sure the cabling has been installed correctly, and sign it off as satisfactory? this is a kitchen.

How will the "Sparks" be able to be sure the cabling has been installed correctly, and sign it off as satisfactory? this is a kitchen.

Text them to ask if they are happy to proceed

Take a few pictures on your smart phone on job in stages

Show them when they come to connect up

No problem

Hi,

Thanks for reading.
I'd use 20 mm conduit myself

I wouldn't bother. You'll bound to miss or forget something. You wouldn't start installing some kitchen furniture 'cos the installers not available.

You should just wait as others have already said; have your kitchen installer come up with a suitable 'timeline', with dates for all the trades to attend.

20MM tube buried and plastered over, trying to get 2x2.5mm T and E in? good luck with that.

The cables would require some serious greasing up but doable over short lengths

25mm conduit would be much easier

Reply to Help please - Is this acceptable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock