• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Help please - Is this acceptable? in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

I am currently doing a small kitchen. It needs to be wired, however the elctricians can't do it for a while, so what im thinking about doing is chasing out the walls and putting in 25mm round conduit, then plastering over it, so when the electrical work can be done they can just push the cable through the conduit and to the sockets. Is this ok to do? It's only for 4 sockets, as it's a very small kitchen.

Thanks for reading.

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
There's nothing to stop you from installing the first fix as an unskilled person. (Unskilled as in not an electrician). It might be worth just getting a sketch for a suitable conduit layout from the sparky who's scheduled to do the installation at a later date.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
thats ok but there will be a starting point for the wiring when he put the cables in .if it was me I would wait until he is free other wise some body will be in pain ,and thats not the spark .;)

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I'd comment that 25mm is maybe quite a deep chase especially if horizontal unless you don't need a plaster finish on top due to being tiled.

Get the electrician in to look at the job,
he can then decide on the routes for the cables,
then you know exactly where to put the cables.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi,

I am currently doing a small kitchen. It needs to be wired, however the elctricians can't do it for a while, so what im thinking about doing is chasing out the walls and putting in 25mm round conduit, then plastering over it, so when the electrical work can be done they can just push the cable through the conduit and to the sockets. Is this ok to do? It's only for 4 sockets, as it's a very small kitchen.

Thanks for reading.
In theory yes it's OK, in practice however not really a good idea, or recommendation as you don't know how the Electrician will wire the sockets, plus it will be a right fiddle getting 2.5 cable into a circular conduit post plastering in my opinion.

No problem with this

In fact you could go one step further and run in the cables to the various points and take the legs back to the board

Ready for the sparks to connect up

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
No problem with this

In fact you could go one step further and run in the cables to the various points and take the legs back to the board

Ready for the sparks to connect up
How will the "Sparks" be able to be sure the cabling has been installed correctly, and sign it off as satisfactory? this is a kitchen.

Tony Reidy

-
Arms
Hi,

Thanks for reading.
I'd use 20 mm conduit myself

Reply to Help please - Is this acceptable? in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom