Discuss HELP.... What can i do with the qualifications i have or what courses do i need? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hose

Hi all...

I'm currently in the army but looking to leave. I'm an electronics technician and i have:
- NVQ level 3 Engineering Maintenance
- Advanced Diploma Engineering Technology

For me to become a qualified electrician what else do i need? Is it a case of me doing the 17th edition and test and inspect course? Are there different levels of 17th edition course and if so which is best for someone in my possition to do?

Any help would be really appreciated...

do the Domestic installer course as your resettlement via aldershot barracks mate! will give you 2 of the quals you need teh 3rd been the VRQ just accept it and move on.. :)

Hi mate, im ex army too, in the infantry thou so i had to start from scratch!!! The best way for you to go now 17th edition, theres only one course bust, then if i was you id do the 2392 first unless you`ve had alot of testing experience if so and you feel confident go straight for the 2391 its a hard course thou so if i was you id read guidance note 3 until your eyes bleed!!!

The only thing im not sure about with ur qualifications is the NVQ 3, which i think must be installations and commissioning!!! that costs about 650 at your local college and is work based so you`d need to be working as a spark to do that.
Also you wouldnt be an approved spark unless you sat the AM2 which is set by JIB think it costs about 700 quid but theres a pre course for that that will get you thought it.
Then you could be graded with JIB and if you get your 2391, NVQ level 3 and AM2 you would get gold card approved spark status. Like your army id but with your qualifications on the back.

You being in the army you can get Enhanced learning credits which is about £1000.00 if youve served under 5 years and £2000.00 if longer, you would need to pay for 20% of the costs your self then they would pay the rest but dont sign for any course unless you checked with the resettlement centre first they will guide you what to do if any course takes you fancy.

Hope this helps mate and good luck!!!

I went that route, then still had to go to college because not many compaies will touch you unless you have NVQ 3 and AM2, you would only be qualified as a domestic installer and not an electrician theres a big difference, especially when your up against people with approved status.

whats the AM2? i think i have the NVQ 3 already but i'll have to look into it to make sure its the right one. It's tricky to do much investigation at the moment because i'm actually on tour right now. Think i may try emailing a few colleages to see whats available.

Thanks for you help, i'm slowely gettign a better idea of where i stand with things!

Reply to HELP.... What can i do with the qualifications i have or what courses do i need? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net