Discuss Help with 16amp (i'm not an electrician) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lost

recently bought a 200amp welder and i need to be able to run it off normal mains socket. problem is it requires a 16 amp fuse i believe.

what can i do ?

thanks in advance

problem is that i need to keep it mobile. was actually hoping to be able to run it of my generator i have in my garage (not possible to have mains power there as half mile from my house)

Fine, then run it off your generator

your genny will need at least a BS4343 (BS EN 60309-2) single phase 16 socket outlet,

and be rated at probably at least 5Kva

OR get a sparks in and install socket as above on a dedicated radial, with probably a Type D 16A BS 60898 MCB protecting it

and you cant run it off a normal mains socket!!

thanks everyone

looks like only my little welder will be moving down the garage , my bigger one (16a) will have to be kept at home for my heavier work

thanks everyone

looks like only my little welder will be moving down the garage , my bigger one (16a) will have to be kept at home for my heavier work

but i dont see that youve solved anything:confused:

unless of course youve got a 16A BS4343 socket outlet on type D 60898 at your house

i know mine didnt come with one.....:p

You can! just put a nail in the plug top.
on a serious note does anyone have any knowledge about welders tripping out stuff?
i know they will trip elcbs what about other types of breakers?

You can! just put a nail in the plug top.
on a serious note does anyone have any knowledge about welders tripping out stuff?
i know they will trip elcbs what about other types of breakers?

rum, generally welders need to go on a Type D because of the surge (I worked on the bloody things for 20 odd years - pain in the butt!)

Some may get away with a type C, but theres a big surge

Type B's are 3-5 times IN

type C's are 10-20 times IN (I think , or was it 5-10 times? aint got the ook in front of me)

D's are 20-50 times IN, (i think) so they can handle the surge

and ELCB's, jeez thats going back a bit - worked with the current ELCB and the old VOELCB's (the voltage operated ones)

we used to have mobile cabins run off gen sets protected by them:eek::eek:

Reply to Help with 16amp (i'm not an electrician) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock