Discuss Help with Cooker & Hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tony.coria

Help needed due to being left with a hob on a 13amp plug and cooker on 30amp cooker switch. C

Can i use the original 6mm cable to a 30amp junction box, then the juction box to the Hob, the hob has it's own wires which i will leave on. The cooker can be fitted with standard 2.5mm cable i think right, All i need is confirmation that i can use the 30amp junction box as a spliter for the supply, only time really that the whole lot will be on is proberly Sunday dinner ( eaither that or i'll go down the pub)

Total wattage of the Hob is 6.6kw
Total wattage on Cooker is 1.8kw

Thanks for any help

Hi Tony,

Allowing for a bit of diversity, perfectly ok.

Cooker should also be ok, but i would use 4mm H/R flex if you can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony although not strictly necessary ,it may be an idea to also fit a fscu in line with the supply to the oven,,providing additional fuse protection & isolation facilities..also .use a good quality jb as you will be squeesing in 3 sets of cables ,and ensure this jb is in some way accessible for any future inspection

regards.......spark1

Personally i would take a separate 6mm supply to the hob and oven and then run a 2.5mm from the cooker switch to the oven

Cheers for the help lads,

I went out and bought a MK junction box and 6mm cable new colours ( the switch is supplied with 6mm cable but the previous owner of the flat put in 10mm cable to just the cooker and a 13amp plug top on the hob). So i've decided to fit the 6mm cable from the switch down to the junction box, then from the box to the cooker with 2.5mm cable, and left the supplied cable to the hob. Again many thanks for the help, i tried to work out the calcs with 30%impedence god what a ball ache does this happen in the real world ?????:D

Whats the rating of the mcb or fuse at the cu, as it seems to me you could be pulling around 36amps approx full load current, which may tip you over at the cu, only a thought mate.

Am I missing something here?. A 6.6Kw hob on a 13a. plug top.! You'ld be better with the hob on the cooker supply and the oven on the plug top if you really need to use both. Better bet is to run the oven and hob from the cooker supply and up the mcb to 40A. 8.4Kw is too much for a 30A mcb. 2.5 wiould be OK for the oven to supply point but something with a bit more beef would be preferable for the hob.

Yeah the prvious owner put the PLUG top on a 13amp supply, i've changed it now, to 6mm cable from the cooker switch in to an MK J/B, 2.5mm cable from j/b to cooker and left the wires supplied to the hob. I have a 32amp breaker on the CU so i might change that one too.

Thanks very much for everybody's help, you lot ani't to BAD, got my 17th edition exam w/b 20th april, so doing loads of bookworming blood boring though.:p

Reply to Help with Cooker & Hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock