Discuss Help! With my pay as a maintenance electrician in FM in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Hope someone can help me. I have got a problem with my pay but first I’ll give a little background information about my history.
I’ve been in the industry as an “Electrician” for 4 years this July will be 5. I’m 26, I have my Level 3, Inspection and testing 2394&5, 17th edition, AM2 and PAT

I started At Bolton at home (council) as an apprentice on £13,000 and then I got a full time role as an electrician when I finished
I was paid £28,000 PA in this time
In this time I did full rewires, day to day repairs, (reactives) kitchen &bathroom upgrades, central heating and communal lighting installs (industrial systems like metal conduits pyro etc)

I then worked for MEARS at Wigan as a maintenance electrician again doing day to day repairs
Pretty much the same sort of thing I was doing in my previous role but I was completely by my self I was on £30,720 at this stage. The only reason why I left was because the manager I had was a bully

I then had a period of going to do some agency work and I did commercial and industrial installs as well as domestic/old age homes.

Now this is where I need some help.

I started with my current firm last year June as an “improver” but my contract said “service Engineer” I was told I’d be on £18,500 for 3 months “to see how I get on.”
I then got an increase in April to £23,000 and I’ve asked this year for an increase again.
Now my concern is how can a company pay me a low wage like this even though I’m fully qualified with I&T. Then my question is; if they employed me as an improver does that not mean that I cannot work alone? Should I not be signing off work? And should I be allowed to c
How do I ask for more of an increase (I don’t know what they are going to increase this April to) Is there a grading system that anyone knows of that could help me.

When you say you have "level 3" do you mean an NVQ level 3 or a theory qualification such as the 2365 or 2330?
Is there a reason why you were prepared to accept such a severe reduction in your wages compared to your previous earnings?

Thanks for your replies.

I’ve got NVQ level 3,
When I was at MEARS the manager was trying to make me sign off jobs that had faults on. I remember a woman’s house that had no continuity on a neutral on a ring. When I told him that I couldn’t leave it he said get out or I’m not paying you. I found the fault and fixed it. They were all on price work and I wasn’t so I got all the bad jobs that had faults to find.

I wish I did smash that guy in the face.

When I started working in my new job I was promised to have a review after 3 months so I agreed to it.
What makes me angry is that there are people who work here that have more experienced then I am.
Can’t find faults and I get called in to fix all these problems.
I think I will look for a new job get out. Haha

Thanks guys

Man why would you accept that low of a wage?

I am 28, with the same qualifications and on 32k in the same role.

There’s plenty of work in FM near me, the big players are struggling to find decent blokes. You know what your worth, and if you have those quals and relevant experience, you’re worth a lot more than that!

Good luck.

The best way to ask for an increase in pay is to apply for other jobs, get offered one for more money, then tell your boss that if they can't beat the new offer you have had then you are handing in your notice.
Obviously you have to be prepared to walk out the door so it is best to make sure it is a definite job offer you are leaving for.

Reply to Help! With my pay as a maintenance electrician in FM in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net