Discuss Help with socket face plates to fit a busy/narrow back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hoping someone on here could help. I have been swapping my standard white plastic plug sockets with flat polished chrome ones. In one of the rooms, the back boxes are fixed to the breeze block of external wall Vs the others which are fit to the stud walls. Basically it means there is no way to fit a deeper back box without chiseling the wall. The components on the back of the face plates on my new chrome flat ones seem to take up slightly more room that the current palstic standard ones and I can't get them to fit on without crushing everything in the back box. My question - is there a brand of face plates that are more accommodating for a busy/narrow back box?

Thanks

If the cable(s) to the back box enter from just one side (e.g. top), then it is quite simple to remove the back box, scrape the hole a bit deeper, and refit the box. With a soft breeze block, you don't really need to do any chiselling.

Bg Nexus NPC22W series will fit to 25mm boxes but they are not flat. Other option would be to use 10mm spacer.
Ideally of course is to remove 25mm boxes and replace them with 35mm

just get the hammer out. if it's a new build, the worst scenario is that it will collapse.

I've heard,a certain scouse,plant operative,is going to be using the old "i was using the bucket of my machine...to deepen a back-box,in a hotel i was working in...."

;););)

Is the walls wet plaster or dot and dab?
The stud walls if fast-fix boxes have not been used and are stud cross noggins mat be tricky as the noggin may become loose.

On one site I worked on, they had plastered concrete walls in communal areas and cleaner sockets.
The shallow back boxes all had that intumescent putty stuff on the inside.
I was tasked with getting the flat plate sockets to sit flat.
A nightmare.

I detest the things - never have liked the look of them yet strangely enough I have them fitted in my front room! I guess I’ve grown in myself and gained some taste!
My favourites are the slim varieties - still need a deeper backbox but they look sweet.
Hamilton hartland slim, quite square and look great whether metal or white moulded
Help with socket face plates to fit a busy/narrow back box BDA0CABF-F4E9-4A9A-AAEB-6A2A3F574664 - EletriciansForums.net
Isn’t that pretty (er) than a flat plate?

Must admit I'm not a fan of the flat plate stuff. The one Rpa just posted looks better. Will it scratch though - you see a lot of metal sockets scratched from myopic people trying to fit 13A plugs (plug-tops, etc.) in them.

Hey, I’m myopic - Rude!
Must admit I'm not a fan of the flat plate stuff. The one Rpa just posted looks better. Will it scratch though - you see a lot of metal sockets scratched from myopic people trying to fit 13A plugs (plug-tops, etc.) in them.

Reply to Help with socket face plates to fit a busy/narrow back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock