• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Help with wiring a light fixture please! in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hey guys would appreciate some help wiring a new light fixture. It has two separate switches that control it. The way the wires are exactly lt how it looked when I took down the old fixture. Please see the attached picture.
Thank you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
I'm not familiar with US wiring, but isn't it obvious that the two wires with the bare ends are the two wires that go to the light, and the bare wires twisted together are the earth connection, should the light fitting need it.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i'd say that the white wires go 1 to each side of the bulb, but as you're USA, can't be sure as your colours and voltage characteristics are different to here. maybe a USA member would better advise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the two bare white wires connect to the black and white connection on my light fixture? Does it matter which one goes to which either or?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
we don't like wire nuts over here. partly because (in domestics especially) most of our cable is solid core and getting a decent connection with a wire nut is almost impossible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gentlemen I followed the diagram and we have power and both switches function but the one switch has to be in the on position for the other to function any ideas?

image.jpg

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
I would recommend getting an electrician in rather than just trying things out. Safer in the long run.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
colours not clear, but methinks that the black going to the light need swapping with the white? that's currently in the wire nut.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
we don't like wire nuts over here. partly because (in domestics especially) most of our cable is solid core and getting a decent connection with a wire nut is almost impossible.
We pull singles in conduit and it’s stranded I can fully understand on solid wire
Post automatically merged:

Gentlemen I followed the diagram and we have power and both switches function but the one switch has to be in the on position for the other to function any ideas?

View attachment 51991
Tom you do understand that one or the other switch is going to be up and the other one will be down is that what your saying

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

USA Advisor

21 minutes ago
telectrix said:
We pull singles in conduit and it’s stranded I can fully understand on solid wire

so do we. singles are 7 strand, but on domestics we use twin/E, either plastered in or capped. the sheath provides the mechanical protection. sadly, it's all solid core unless we want to pay double the price and wait for wholesalers to order it in. when we used imperial cable it was all stranded. far superior to the crap we're forced to use today since (against the wishes of the electrorate) a goon of a prime minister got us converted to metric.

Reply to Help with wiring a light fixture please! in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom