Discuss Help with wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rico1987

DIY
Reaction score
Can anyone help with some advice with the below wiring. I am wanting to change an outdoor light from its current rather old looking lamp to a dusk till dawn light. Nothing fancy the wiring for this just a live/neg no earth. However when I have taken the casing off for the current light the wiring is as below. Any advice as to why the live has an earth sleeve over it and why there are so many wires? There is only one switch to turn it on/off and the current light is also just a live/neg by a block connector. I'll obviously get a multimeter to it before fitting the new light just after some advice. I thought the wiring picture below the connector was just backward however the live/neg on the current light fits in to the correct marking.Thanks in advance.
Help with wiring 20191124_152405 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Help with wiring 20191124_152405 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191124_152405.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 22
At a guess, I would say the sticker is upside down.

You can’t know for sure without a proper voltage detector, but I am assuming the following.

The 2 reds together are permanent live. You need to isolate those at your consumer unit.
One black is the neutral. The other black is the switches live and should have a bit of tape on it or something to distinguish it from the other black.

Looks like the 2 red wires are permanently live, one of the blacks is a switch wire and should be sleeved red, the other is neutral, without testing it isn't possible to say which is which.
The earth sleeved wires will be the cpc.
I would hazard a guess that the label below is upside down

@littlespark beat me to it

first of all you need to see which is live looking at that fitting loopin left next to that live neutral on the end earth .just to let you know the label up side down.and im on me head,lol.

At a guess, I would say the sticker is upside down.

You can’t know for sure without a proper voltage detector, but I am assuming the following.

The 2 reds together are permanent live. You need to isolate those at your consumer unit.
One black is the neutral. The other black is the switches live and should have a bit of tape on it or something to distinguish it from the other black.

That would probably make sense. Thank.you for taking the time to reply.

Can you show a pic of the old fitting, the part that plugs onto that connector.

Having re looked at it again I think it appears that the sticker is the wrong way round I've tried to line up the connectors shown in the picture from the original light and they connect to the 2x black wires in the blocks where on first view looked like it slotted in to the earth wire. Makes sense now. Just need to work out which is the live black wire now. Thanks

Attachments

• Help with wiring 20191124_191024 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191124_191024.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 24

Reply to Help with wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock