Discuss HMO car charging ports request. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I will be upfront and honest I never really got involved or know too much about this so a few queries...

-Do I need any paperwork, additional recognition to install several new charging points at an HMO

-Are there still any grants available to the landlord to counter the costs

-If I need to do some courses etc then can I simply install it all to the BS7671 and have it tested and signed off by a competent person/company.

Think you'll have to pass on this one.

What I know about it.

To claim the grant you need to be OLEV approved.
Maximinum grant £350 per unit. It was maximum 2 per house, not sure at the moment.
Must be a Smart charger.
The property needs to have off street parking for each charge point.
For each charge point there has to be a registered keeper of a suitable approved E.V. or proof an E.V has been ordered and has a delivery date.
The installer claims the Grant back, you could be out of pocket for a while.

H.M.Os will have additional approvals required from the D.N.O due to the potential load.

Last edited:
I've seen the OLEV advise but it is very unclear about landlords of HMO's who want to provide several outlets, it allows a landlord to fit one for a renter and the renter provide their details and show they have a car etc thus a grant is issued to the landlord for the one point but no speak of HMO and pre-empting 50+ occupants in the future.

I don't think pre-empting is catered for.
There's only so much Grant money available and it goes to where there is definitely going to be an E.V.
There's nothing to stop the Landlord fully paying for them all with no grant.

And say for a property with multiple tennants it will be years, if ever, that all of them are occupied by E.V owners.
If there ever was an H.M.O scheme it would never pay a grant for 1 charge point per flat.

Just as with rent-a-roof P.V. there already are commercial schemes where third party providers fit E.V Chargers but they'll only fit enough to get a return and keep up with demand.

in terms of ev installs if its a private customer or a business fitting one for staff use then the grants are available,
if fitting on an hmo then i wouldnt see how the grant would cover part of the cost unless it was fitted once tenants are in and there is somebody with an ev.
The olev stuff only kicks in if you want the grants. olev eligible chargers are more expensive as they have the smart stuff in. if you arent doing it via a grant then anybody can fit one as long as you got the part p scheme for notifying.
Guess first question is who is paying for the charging? is it a flat rate added to the rent or does landlord need to know who used it and when so then bill them accordingly?
If so i would be looking at one of the chargers from podpoint or ev box for the back office user management.
If its just a gimmick install with no likely users i would fit something simple, non smart like an EO or again just a pod point solo. an EO is around £325+VAT podpoint £400+VAT depending on where you buy.
[automerge]1601457335[/automerge]
just occurred to me that if you want several chargers at the hmo then you are likely going to need some load balancing.
Might pay to give podpoint a call to look at the systems they have to do the load balancing and digital admin etc.. can work out more cost effective than buying them and fitting them yourself.

When you install an EV charge point you have to advise the DNO if the MD is less than 60A - using the ENA ev & HP form within 28 days

If you have multiple EV charge points then you must APPLY to the DNO (same form) before installation, again if there are many, then you need to add CTs for demand, plus the DNO is likely to charge for upgrading the supply if it's large.

ENW has a good page with good overviews here: Connecting an EV charging point - https://www.enwl.co.uk/get-connected/apply-for-a-new-connection/ev-and-heat-pumps/ev/

Obviously the local DNO you are working in is actually the one to contact - I worked for ENW so know many of the people in the design/management areas even though most of my consultancy work is outwith their area.

The grant thing is a nightmare, yes there are grants, but not the usual channels, and usually done as part of the whole planning application.

No requirement for any training beyond the standard 18th etc, however many charge point manufactures will only allow those who have C&G 2919 and their own in-house course access to install their kit; although the kit also tends to be sold via usual outlets without any such restriction.

Attachments

• ev-hp-application-form-v9.5.docx
    65.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
When you install an EV charge point you have to advise the DNO if the MD is less than 60A - using the ENA ev & HP form within 28 days

If you have multiple EV charge points then you must APPLY to the DNO (same form) before installation, again if there are many, then you need to add CTs for demand, plus the DNO is likely to charge for upgrading the supply if it's large.

ENW has a good page with good overviews here: Connecting an EV charging point - https://www.enwl.co.uk/get-connected/apply-for-a-new-connection/ev-and-heat-pumps/ev/

Obviously the local DNO you are working in is actually the one to contact - I worked for ENW so know many of the people in the design/management areas even though most of my consultancy work is outwith their area.

The grant thing is a nightmare, yes there are grants, but not the usual channels, and usually done as part of the whole planning application.

No requirement for any training beyond the standard 18th etc, however many charge point manufactures will only allow those who have C&G 2919 and their own in-house course access to install their kit; although the kit also tends to be sold via usual outlets without any such restriction.
depending on the size of any upgrade Western Power Distribution will upgrade the cutout and capacity upto a maximum of 100amps in most cases to facilitate ev and other low carbon green technologies. if you want to go single to three phase they charge. i believe SSE are a nightmare to deal with full stop. not sure about others. WPD will usually give you 80 amps no qualms but 100 you have to justify. telling them customer is getting an ev and will be fitting solar pv and a heat source ump is usually enough to get them to do the work!!

The HMO is a old music college with a decent supply 3ph 200A as fused, not sure on KVA allowance as of yet, was intending to use a 63amp 3phase supply to facilitate several points and if expanded on then use monitoring load technology at a later date, my concern was the paperwork as I get ambiguous and conflicting information as is often with moderately new tech been thrust on the industry.

As it stands it is just getting the sizing of the supply to the distribution at the moment which I have a good idea of now, the number of points and kind of charger is a later call, I will discuss with building control about requirements of notification and go from there.

Reply to HMO car charging ports request. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock