Discuss Honeywell Thermostat Upgrade in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I - I am new here and tried a previous post by adding some attachments = that dont seem to have worked.
My issue - no doubt.
But I will try this once more if you could help please.

I am hoping to replace an old thermostat with a new digital version and need help with the wiring please.

If this works - the post should show 2 diagrams.
CURRENT THERMOSTAT - Shows wiring - the 3 connections and a small picture of the thermostat itself.
All 3 terminals correspond: 1 Brown 2 Blue 3 Black/Grey

The New Thermostat wiring diagram options.

I know the new thermostat does loads. But I just want to use it as a room thermostat.
So - the 3 coloured wires on the original thermostat should be connected to what terminals on the new thermostat - PLEASE PLEASE

original.jpgWirelss.jpg

The new unit is a programmer and the old one is a thermostat, you can't just swap one for the other without altering the wiring as there is no live supply to the existing room stat and the new unit requires one.
You will either have to remove the existing programmer and replace it with the new unit and then remove and disconnect the existing thermostat wiring. Or you could fit the new unit in place of the existing room stat and then alter the wiring to suit, which will involve disconnecting the heating from the existing programmer otherwise you will have multiple time controls attempting to control your heating.

The bat option here really would be to not try to fit a programmer in place of a roomstat and instead replace the rooms stat with another room stat.

All this does beg the question of what is wrong with the existing roomstat?

I - I am new here and tried a previous post by adding some attachments = that dont seem to have worked.
My issue - no doubt.
But I will try this once more if you could help please.

I am hoping to replace an old thermostat with a new digital version and need help with the wiring please.

If this works - the post should show 2 diagrams.
CURRENT THERMOSTAT - Shows wiring - the 3 connections and a small picture of the thermostat itself.
All 3 terminals correspond: 1 Brown 2 Blue 3 Black/Grey

The New Thermostat wiring diagram options.

I know the new thermostat does loads. But I just want to use it as a room thermostat.
So - the 3 coloured wires on the original thermostat should be connected to what terminals on the new thermostat - PLEASE PLEASE

View attachment 31613View attachment 31614

So why, why, why start another thread?

You could have added this information to the other thread you started!

So why, why, why start another thread?

You could have added this information to the other thread you started!

The OP did add to his other thread but I was dealing with another matter and his post was waiting approval, I have closed that thread with a link to here now, this was not the OP's fault just us boys catching up with posts needing approval :)

I approved this thread not realising we had an existing one so my little boo boo :wub: , Thanks though Murdoch for pointing it out :)

Last edited:
OK here goes -
I simply want to have the thermostat in the lounge.
Not in the Hallway that is impacted by draughts and door openings.

I thought the easiest way - would be to replace the Hallway Thermostat - with a wireless version (which the new Sundial is) and control it from the lounge.

To save extending the hallway thermostat wiring and having to re plaster.

Looks like its not a good idea.

To move the stat - wiring - replaster - redecorate is Circa £400.
Wireless stat £150

Seemed like a good idea

Martin

Right I just approved the op's last 2 posts so he shouldn't need approving any more, let's get back to thread.

OK here goes -

I thought the easiest way - would be to replace the Hallway Thermostat - with a wireless version (which the new Sundial is) and control it from the lounge.

Wireless stat £150

Seemed like a good idea

Martin

Yes a wireless thermostat will allow you to do this easily, but the product you have selected is not just a thermostat, it is a programmer with a built in wireless stat receiver. Fitting this will require a bit of alteration of the existing control wiring.

£150 is a lot of money to pay for a simple wireless thermostat, I would normally have supplied and fitted a Drayton digistat RF1 for less than that if your system is suitably set up. you would not only save money, but also save yourself from the potential danger which electricity poses to anyone working with it.

Whatever you do a wireless stat will not just fit directly to your existing thermostat cable as there will not be a permanent live there to power it. This is why a wireless stat receiver would normally be fitted adjacent to the main connection box/wiring centre where the necessary connections are usually available (unless you have a Y plan system where there may only be a permanent live at the programmer and the boiler.

OK here goes -

Wireless stat £150

Seemed like a good idea

Martin

Not sure putting the stat in the lounge it's a good idea. The hall is best, failing that the dining room

Thanks -
Found exactly what is required.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/honeywell-cmt921-wireless-room-thermostat/87377

Always argument about placing in lounge - Hall - Dining etc

I will use the remote stat to set lounge temp (her indoors of course) and use TRV for all other areas.

Simples -
Thanks for everyone's help
Martin

Thanks -
Found exactly what is required.

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/honeywell-cmt921-wireless-room-thermostat/87377

Always argument about placing in lounge - Hall - Dining etc

I will use the remote stat to set lounge temp (her indoors of course) and use TRV for all other areas.

Simples -
Thanks for everyone's help
Martin

I would advise against that one, I've removed a fair few of them for people who get thoroughly irritated with them not being simple to operate, one which has a simple dial to set the temperature is always far more popular.

Plus you still need to find a permanent live to power it whatever stat you go for!

That is not my understanding - that may well be wrong.
It has batteries exactly the same as the CM900
And it simply fits in place using the back plate of the cm900.

So far a dial stats go - my experience is the lag - hit 24 - then hope to remain at that - then wait until it hits 19 before it kicks in

I would advise against that one, I've removed a fair few of them for people who get thoroughly irritated with them not being simple to operate, one which has a simple dial to set the temperature is always far more popular.
!

Indeed, pressing the up arrow button to increase the temperature and the down to lower the set temperature such an irritation.

Reply to Honeywell Thermostat Upgrade in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net